Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This and That

Just a couple of things on my mind today...

1) My baby, my sweet baby girl, is supposed to start Kindergarten tomorrow. I have a stomach ache as I sit and type that out. I say "supposed" for a good reason. The Girl has NEVER gone to the first day of school. She always misses it due to a freaky illness. The first year it was Hand Foot and Mouth disease (yummy), and the second year it was a bad case of Croup. Well, like I mentioned yesterday, The Little Man battled a stomach bug this past weekend, so we are just waiting for it to make the rounds. Since The Girl has missed the first day of school the last two years, I am thinking that the bug will probably hit tonight. I hope not for her sake...OK and mine. I also hope it doesn't hit in the middle of the school day...

2) Have I mentioned that I love having a garden? We have had a vegetable garden for the last 3 summers, and I can't imagine not having one. The only thing I want to do, is figure out a way to make it bigger. I believe that would be called farming, and our "covenant controlled community" might frown on our front lawn becoming a large produce department. At least it's organic.

The bunnies would love it though.

Which would make my neighbors hate me.

But what if they could eat all the goodness from it?

Then they would love me.

Oh, it's a battle that I don't want to fight, so I will just be happy with my smallish garden in the back yard.

Seriously though, the veggies from the garden, they just taste better. I have been eating a cucumber with The Girl now for a couple of days (it was huge) that is absolutely divine. The Girl said, "Wow, Mom! You just never know that cucumbers could taste this good until you grow them yourself." I know people go on and on about home grown tomatoes tasting so much better than store bough tomatoes, and I imagine that this phenomenon holds true for cucumbers too because they are just heaven. This phenomenon also holds true for carrots. I can't say anything about this year's crop because they aren't done yet.

I have been asked if I grow tomatoes, because I guess all gardeners grow tomatoes, but the answer is, "No". Nary a person in my home will eat a tomato plain. Even if it is fresh from the garden. I get a lot of wincing with that answer.

The beans aren't bad either. Just a little tip though: If the package of seed say "High yielding crops", they aren't stretching the truth to sell more seed. I have so many green beans right now that, even though I have been giving them away, I have been researching how to freeze them properly. I have a feeling that the same will hold true for the cucumbers. I will not be freezing those, however, so I'll need to find a way to make it work.

Oh, yea, and the peppers. Mmmmmm....I can hardly wait. I have some gorgeous JalapeƱo, Anaheim, and Banana peppers just waiting to be harvested and chopped up then put into soups, chile's, and salsas. Speaking of salsa, The Girl and I decided, besides our traditional carrots beans and cucumbers, we are going with a theme garden next year, and the theme will be salsa. JalapeƱos, tomatoes (there you go, you can stop wincing now), onions, and a planter pot for cilantro. Yum-O!

3) Can we talk about armpits here? If this topic totally grosses you out, feel free to be done with this post. I got in on a special at a local day spa/laser clinic. It was for underarm laser hair removal. It was a screaming deal and I thought, "You know, if I never have to shave my pits again, I could be a pretty happy woman." Also, I have seen someone who has had it done and, for armpits, they were really pretty. So, I signed myself up and went today.

It was interesting.

I have to go back every three weeks for 6 total treatments, so in 18 weeks I will be sporting some gorgeous armpits.

I'll just say, it's good to have an end date and a really good end result to look forward to.

And also, I am happy that it only takes about five minutes per side.

Lastly, anyone who has had large areas done i.e. legs or backs (and also I'll throw in an upper lip here too because that seems like a really sensitive place to me) are total studs (or crazy).

If you see me in a tank top in February it's because I am trying to show off the fruits of my labor.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Armpits, huh? DH does that at his office (well, a tech does it) and I've considered it. Would it be weird for you to post a pic after it's all done?