Monday, August 18, 2008

Some Girls Like to Play with Barbies

I still make The Girl take a nap everyday. I know, I am pushing my luck, but she doesn't know any better than at 2:00 pm everyday the whole world take naps. I don't plan on cluing her in anytime soon that it's just her and her brother and the infant/baby crowd. I know that she usually only sleeps one or two times a week, but the quiet time just to herself is needed regardless of if she chooses to sleep or not. Plus, the quiet house helps her brother take a nap, and for him, napping isn't an option.

Oh ya, and did I mention that's when I regain all sanity lost up until that point in the day.

So ya, naps are a requirement for everyone in this home.

Today, she enlightened me as to what she was up to while she was in her room for two hours.

D: Mom, I didn't sleep today. I just rested.
me: That's fine. It's important to get rest.
D: Ya, I just read some books.
me: That's a great choice for nap time. It's nice and quiet.
D: I decided not to wait for you to read me that chapter book. You know that one we got from the library?
me: Really? What do you mean?
D: I mean I just got started on it without you. I read chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3, chapter 4, and then half of chapter 5.
me: You read all of that by yourself?
D: Ya, I guess I can read chapter books all by myself...

Great! Couple that with her not wanting me to walk her into school anymore, and I am pretty much useless these days.

The more they grow up, the more I realize I am not really cut out for this whole "Mommy" business.

No comments: