Saturday, May 17, 2008

N to the K to the O-T-B!

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!

That's what I got to see, along with the rest of America, yesterday morning. If you missed it you can catch up right here. I'll let the video speak for itself, and let you decide if the 15 year hiatus was too long or not long enough. According to the Today show anchors, yesterday's crowd was one of the biggest crowds they have ever seen on the plaza. Grown women, ranging in age from their late 20's to mid 30's lined the streets in the pouring rain to see the Boys from Boston. Some of them showed up as early as the morning before to secure their spots close to the stage.

I am going to freely admit that I was a big NKOTB fan myself back in the day of hot pink lipstick, blue eyeshadow, and tall/big bangs. I also rolled my jeans as well as my tee-shirt sleeves. It was middle school, and I was trying to awkwardly figure out who I was in the midst of raging hormones and trying to fit in. All the girls loved New Kids On The Block, and I was all about being apart of "All Girls". Because of all the painfulness that that period of time holds for most of us, I had all but repressed the memories of that time in life.

Then, yesterday, while eating my breakfast, the kids running around wild with new morning energy, I look up from my computer because I heard a familiar tune on the TV. I was surprised to see that the boys had reunited and were going on tour. I was even more surprised to see how much they have changed over the years. Again, I am not going to share my opinions on how they aged, you'll need to watch the video and make up your own mind.

I have heard that some people are paying well over $200 to see them perform in their upcoming tour. I even know someone who is going to get backstage passes so that she can finally meet the boys of her middle school girl dreams. For me one morning was enough.

I smiled as I watched them "Hang Tough" on the Today show. Then all those memories that I have worked so hard at repressing, came flooding back. I realized that was all I needed, and I quickly turned the channel to Sesame Street. The roar from the small crowd in my home was confirmation that I had made the right choice.

Because that's where I am at now in life.

Thankfully.

No comments: