Thursday, May 15, 2008

If I Could Only Figure Out How to Make This Work For Potty Training

Let me be the first to say, I LOVE routine. I thrive when my days are planned. I don't often "fly by the seat of my pants". In fact, I have noticed, that I can get quite grouchy when something unexpected comes along my way and I have to re-write how my day will go.

I used to be sad about this. I used to want to change this personality trait. Become someone who was "spontaneous". It seems so much more exciting, and so free. Then I turned 30 (I won't say how long ago that was) and realized, I wasn't fooling anyone, let alone myself by trying to be someone I just wasn't made to be.

Talk about feeling free. Being able to accept who you are and be fine with it....well, it's a load off to say the least.

Then I started noticing how natural and easy it is to create habitual patterns in life. It wasn't just me, but many people around me as well as a few creatures in my life.

Take our dog for example. She is so habitual, it actually drives me insane. I can't tell you how many times I have told her she is going to the pound if she doesn't knock it off. She is quick to respond to the message, but is also quick to return to her old pattern of behavior, especially when food is involved.

She is fed at around the same time each day. Once in the morning, once in the late afternoon. It's like there is a clock in her belly. She could be in the deepest of dog naps, but once that clock ticks over to 4:00, watch out! She's up and at 'em, and if you are in her way, too bad. If you are unable to get to feeding her right away, then she will wear you out by NEVER LEAVING YOUR SIDE WITH A PANTING AND SMACKING OF THE LIPS THAT IS LIKE SOME SORT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL TORTURE. Until you find the time to get down to her food and dish, you can expect she will not let up for one single moment.

Recently, she was having some belly issues. It seemed that the new diet was not agreeing with her. She needed just a little snack at bed time to tide her through the night. She was all up for that, and it 2 days, she had made it a habit. Now instead of being badgered twice a day, I get it three times a day.

I noticed the same phenomenon with my son. Except with him, I would expect that he knows when it's time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That doesn't take any type of pattern, just hunger pains. However, my son can remember each place that he has had food at and what type it was.

For example, when we go to visit my sister at her house. When she first got the keys to her home, she chose not to move in right away, but instead she wanted to paint it and fix it up a bit. That meant that the first two or so times we went to see her, there was no furniture. So in order to keep the kids occupied while I chatted about paint colors and drapery, I would use a window sill as a table and put a few snack options on it. The kids would eat, I would chat, and everyone was happy. Still to this day, when we go over to my sisters home he goes straight for the window sill and asks for goldfish. It does not matter that she now has tables and chairs in several different locations, or that he may be fresh from the largest meal he has ever consumed. He's at his Auntie's house and there he eats goldfish crackers from the window sill.

Same thing when we visit our friends on Fridays. There has been more than once that we will order pizza for us and the kids for lunch. The last two times we have gone over there, Pax has said, "How long do we play before the pizza will come?"

Yesterday, we were at the local bounce house. We have been there for several parties in the past in which we have eaten cake. It did not matter that just moments before arriving, Pax had just eaten breakfast. As soon as we got there he ran in, got a few bounces out, and then promptly came to get me and tell me he was hungry. I tried to brush it off and tell him he just ate breakfast and to go have some fun. Instead of going back to have some more crazy fun, he went straight to the door that leads from the bounce room to the party room and started yelling, "I HUNGRY!! I WANT CAKE!!"

At first I thought it was his ferocious sweet tooth, but then I realized: every time we are there (3 times in the last year) we go to that room and eat cake and ice cream. He was just doing what he knew we did there.

Since we didn't eat cake, he was consistent about asking for cake the rest of the day.

I have noticed though, that this same phenomenon does not work with any sort of vegetables or fruit. I am waiting for the day he goes somewhere and demands some broccoli.

Don't worry, I am not holding my breath.

No comments: