Wednesday, May 7, 2008

...Almost, but not Quite

Here are a few things from today :

1. Tonight at dinner Delanie bit her tongue. I was proud of her because instead of an ear piercing, uncontrolled scream, she somewhat kept herself together. I think she is finally coming around the the fact that when we are in public places, other people are watching.

After she pulled herself together, and got a drink of water, she asked me if I could still see blood on her tongue.

Delanie: Mommy, is there still blood on my tongue?
me: Nope, it's all done bleeding.
Delanie: Is there a red mark?
me: Yup, it still has a red spot right where you bit down.
Delanie: Does it look like the red marks that were on Jesus' hands when he got nailed to the cross...
me: Ummm...not quite.
Delanie: Yea, it would hurt really bad to get your tongue nailed to the cross.
me: Yea, I suppose it would.

2. Tonight at dinner we had some amazing fresh pineapple. It was just perfectly juicy and sweet. Delanie and I gobbled it up the best we could while still trying to maintain some sort of lady-like manners.

It's times like these that I realize I am completely unqualified to hold any sort of position that requires modeling behaviors for my children that I desire they have.

I digress.

I then tried to start the argument with her that sometimes fruit can be so sweet and yummy that it's like eating dessert. That's when she looked at me, stopped eating her pineapple, and quickly, but very sternly said, "Fruit can never be dessert. It might be good, but dessert is for stuff like ice cream and cake." Then she went back to devouring what was left of the pineapple.

At least I've taught her something.

Which leads me to another debate that started after the pineapple was gone, and we had started eating our "real dessert":

3. Delanie tried to argue the point that ice cream could be healthy. She said that it tastes so good that she just wants to eat it all the time, so she likes to pretend that it could be healthy.

I, for one, like that argument, and you may or may not find me using it in the near future with a batch of brownies.

4. Just when I thought I was in shape, the truth was slapped right across my bottom, legs, arms, chest, and shoulders.

I decided yesterday to stir things up a bit in my normal work-out routine. Usually, I would have just done some weight lifting on my own, but there was this class being offered at the same time I was at the gym that was a weight lifting class. I thought, this would be fun! To top it off, I had run into a friend at the gym who was also going to take the class, and she assured me it would was a good class, and I would get a good work out.

WOW! I have a whole new appreciation for lactic acid today.

However, today will not stop me from taking this class again next week and every week there after.

Because when you find something that hurts so much that it has to be changing the shape of your behind, you can't give up.

Also, if I have to go up or down the stairs, use the restroom, or squat down to pick up or talk to either of my children anymore in the next 24 hours, I could start sobbing.

5. Scott mowed the lawn today with some help from the kids.

Enough said.

Delanie was supposed to be corralling the dog while Pax followed behind with his bubble mower making sure to get any spots that daddy's mower may have missed.

While they weren't very much help (if any at all) it was fun to watch.

1 comment:

Tara said...

There's a class at my gym called "group power" and it's a group weightlifting class set to cool music. So good. Burns everytime. It's fun when you get to add on more weights every couple of classes. You go, girl.