Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Also, I Got in a Decent Workout

It's been a busy weekend, but fun none-the-less. Memorial Day weekend always brings on a feeling of excitement that, I guess, goes back to childhood. It's the official kick-off to summer, which if you didn't know by now, is my most favorite season, the pools open, school gets out, and it's a three day weekend to-boot. Even though the weather disappointed this weekend, we still had a great time.

One of our newest traditions is Scott and I running in the BolderBoulder. It's a race that is totally do-able, yet you do need to do some training for. Although, I have heard some people run it cold. That's the beauty of that race though, it can be totally serious, and you might be running for your own Personal Best, or it could just be a day you spend having a good time running. I loved the way my friend, who joined us this year (along with a bunch of others),wrote about it. Since she did a fantabulous job, I won't re-hash some of what she wrote about. I will talk about something that I learned, though.

I know I have mentioned it before, but I had hurt my hamstring about 3 months ago. When it happened, I was a little bit concerned because I would have to take a break from training. I had decided last summer that I would be going for a personal best at this particular race, so to take a break from training was not really in the cards. Since it was February though, I thought I had plenty of time.

Not so much.

Apparently, hamstring injuries can take a REALLY long time to heal. Even better yet, once you have one, they are very easily re-injured, which is something I learned the hard way. As race day crept up on me, I very sadly realized that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish a Personal Best at the race I had trained almost a year for.

I'll admit it, I was a bit angry and bitter as well.

It turns out, I had no reason what-so-ever to be upset. Something I have learned in the past year is that when God says, "No" to something, it's because he has a bigger "Yes" waiting for you instead.

What he had waiting for me instead was a wonderful day full of fun. A day that was completely free of any sort of pressure to perform. A day where I could enjoy running. Even though I hadn't run for about 3 months, the week before the race, my Physical Therapist cleared me to run minimally and encouraged me to do some running in the race as long as I took it easy. So, it was a day that I was able to run. I ran all but just a few steps of the 6.2 mile course. It was a euphoric feeling.

Just to add a cherry on top, I was also blessed to be able to run with a friend and my Sister-In-Law the whole way. This was the first time I was able to run a race with someone for the entire distance. It was such a blast! I had so much fun having people by my side the whole way encouraging each other. We also talked about silly stuff and laughed a little.

Laughed.

During a race.

Thank you, Lord, for knowing right where I am at, and knowing just what I need.

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." --Psalm 119:71

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Doesn't it feel great to take it easy sometimes?

I'm still willing to take a field trip to partake in that skillet cookie with four flavors...