Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day Moments

I know I am a day late, but since I was enjoying the day so much yesterday, I am just getting to this today.

Since May has been officially renamed in our house to The Month of Madness, I thought for sure there would be nothing too special for me this year for Mother's Day. First of all, I already knew there would be no gift since the whole computer crash last month caused hubs to buy me another. Secondly, since we were so busy with dinners, both an engagement and a birthday party, as well as celebrating both of our (Scott and I) mothers, I thought, "There is no time for me this year".

It turned out that I was wrong, and I was blessed all day long.

Here are some highlights of this year's Mother's Day:

1. Hubby's parents took the kids for Saturday evening so we could go to an engagement party.

(On a side note, this engagement party, could be a post all to itself. It included a surprise wedding, some guests that had over done the celebrating, a tent on a cold windy day, required cocktail attire, high heels that sunk into the wet ground allowing all the female guests to aerate the lawn, and Scott and I who thought we should show up fashionably late, thus missed the "surprise wedding", and then because of the aforementioned surroundings, stayed for approximately 7-8 minutes....no joke)

After the engagement party, Scott took me to see a movie of my choice, and then arranged it so the kids could stay the night at grandma's. This meant we could stay out just a bit later and sleep in the next day...Mother's Day...that's a gift that money just can't buy.

2. Even though I missed out on a Mother's Day celebration with my side of the family the day before, I still got to have breakfast with both my mom and my mother-in-law on Sunday morning. My favorite breakfast was made by Scott, and my dad, father-in-law, and brother-in-law brought some yummy side dishes. The kicker was: we didn't have to wait on an obscene wait with the kids, and when the kids were finished, they were excused to play in the play room allowing the adults to have a nice, uninterrupted conversation.

3. Everyone then decided to go to church together.

Enough said.

4. Both kids took 2 hour naps....HELLO!

I thought I was in some sort of dream world.

5. The weather was PHENOMENAL. It was in the mid-seventies, without even the slightest of breeze, and blue skies that went on forever. Considering the weather the day before, and yesterday was nothing short than a gift from the heavens.

6. Since the weather was so wonderful, something I thought wouldn't get to happen for another week was possible.

My most favorite Mother's Day tradition is planting our vegetable garden with the family. I was pretty saddened this year when I thought this wasn't going to be possible due to the weather and the fact that we were running around like wild animals all weekend.

Then, God just blessed me more than I could have ever imagined. Not only was the weather perfect, but all of a sudden, we were all caught up on all of our chores and there was nothing left to do...for the rest of the afternoon. It was perfect.

The kids and I planted our veggie garden and still had time to spare for some bike riding and play time in the front yard. We spent the rest of the afternoon together as a family and it was heaven. No one was grumpy, defiant, had a poor attitude, or needed to be disciplined.

Scott and the kids were great too.

It was a beautiful day with so many gifts. Unexpected gifts. Gifts that are cherished forever in memories. The kind of gifts that can only be given by The One who knows how to meet our needs best.

No comments: