Monday, December 8, 2008

In Which I Reconsider my Brilliant Idea to Potty Train Without Underwear

Do you all remember all my potty training posts? Remember how we finally decided that in order to get The Little Man trained we would go sans pants or underwear until he finally got it? I thought it was such a brilliant idea. And it was. The Little Man picked up toilet training in about a weeks time. Just to make sure he didn't regress, and also because it was summer time, we allowed him to run around in the buff for about another month (or longer..whatever...it was summer time).

Apparently, this has created a "preference" for The Little Man. Which is to say, he doesn't like to wear underwear.

Or pants for that matter.

I thought when we first started school, in August, he was just kind of rebelling against the whole "End of Summer Freedom thing". Since it was still summer time, and he was wearing shorts to school, I let it slide a few times with forcing him wear underwear under his shorts. For the most part though, I was firm and told him he had to wear underwear to school. He obliged. Until we got home. Then it was off with the underwear. I kept thinking that when the weather got cooler, and he had to wear jeans, he'll want to wear underwear in order to, er, protect himself.

Surprisingly, notsomuch.

Right now, I have him convinced that he must wear underwear to school and church. After that it's all up in the air. Usually, upon coming home from somewhere that I insisted he wear underwear to, he will come inside and quickly take off his underwear stating that "I can't wear dese anymore. Dey are just too tight!" Despite the fact that he is walking around bow-legged and the previous comment, he is not wearing the wrong size underpants.

I am desperately seeking out boxer shorts that are size 3T...yes, I've seen the boxer briefs, and "Dos are too tight!"

This evening, while eating dinner, Hubby realized he was still in his pull-up from nap time (I am still not brave enough to put him in bed without a diaper despite not having an accident at nap time in months). He asked The Little Man if he would please change out of his diaper and then join us at the table. I guess we all thought that it didn't need to be said that he would then need to put on some sort of garment that covered the lower half of his body.

Since we were all enthralled with a movie that we were watching during dinner, no one really paid too much attention to The Little Man's return to the table. As he finished his dinner and got up from the table we realized that he was totally naked from the waist down.

Just eating dinner.

No pants.

No underwear.

Just eating his steak and potatoes.

I wish I could say I was shocked, and just beside myself. Instead I just laughed. The Little Man just looked around like, "What? What's so funny? Did I miss something?"

I guess we should talk a little bit about modesty, and keeping our private parts private.

I will have to wait until I am done cracking up.

Yes, that pun was totally intended.

No comments: