Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Promise

As Christmas day comes closer and closer, things in my home are getting crazier and crazier. My kids are BOUNCING off the walls. Sugar is partly to blame, but mostly they are so excited for Christmas to be here they can hardly stand it. At least that's what I am going to blame it on for now. If we are still seeing some of this same behavior after Christmas? Heaven help us.

I try so hard not to squash their fun with reprimands, but it gets so nutty sometimes. I feel like such a Stick in the Mud/Grinch/Ba Humbug/Meanie always laying down the law, but at some point, it has to be done.

Then I feel guilty.

And I wonder, "Why can't I just have more patience? Maybe I need to have more empathy for the situation and give a little more grace."

And I pray for just those things: Patience, grace, empathy, compassion, love, kindness, peace, self-control.

And then I lose my cool. Again.

It's a vicious cycle, really. Over and over again. Many times I have wondered, "Are you even hearing me, Lord?" And really, how ridiculous is it that I get frustrated about wanting to be more patient, but am upset that it isn't happening NOW!

Over and over again, I keep thinking of a lesson that came from my last week of Bible study this year. I think it works in perfectly with my patience issue, and it ties in a bit of Christmas as well.

In Psalm 132, God makes a promise to His people. He promises them a King from the line of David. He also promises them, that if they keep His covenant and His decrees, that they will have the throne forever. The people did not keep up their end of the deal.

I love how Beth Moore puts it in her study on the Psalms of Accent:
"As the ancient people of God made their arduous journeys to Jerusalem after sin and and exile, they sang this song (Psalm 132) with hearts in their throats, fearing their disobedience had deferred their hope forever. Then when they least expected it, 'Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family line of David, to be registered along with Mary, who was engaged to him and was pregnant. While they were there, the time came for her to give birth. Then she gave birth to her firstborn Son, and she wrapped Him snugly in cloth and laid Him in a feeding trough-because there was no room for them at the inn. In the same region, shepherds were staying out in the fields and keeping watch at night over their flock. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Don't be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the city of David' (Luke 2:4-11)"

It had been about 400 years since they had heard from the Lord. 400 years that they sat and thought about the promise made to them for a King. 400 years that they thought about their sin, and now hope deferred.

Talk about needing some patience!

Talk about feeling convicted about being frustrated after feeling like I haven't been answered quickly enough, or with the answer I wanted!

Not only did God answer their prayers, despite their disobedience, but He answered them abundantly. He answered them with His Son who was given to us as a Savior. His Son who will never leave the throne, and is the King of all kings. God, in His great mercy, kept His promise.

This Christmas as I celebrate with my family, I will remember too that I am celebrating a promise. A promise that was given and fulfilled. An abundant answer to prayer. It is a day to celebrate the birth of our King who is forever seated on His throne. A day to celebrate the birth of a tiny baby who came to Earth and changed eternity.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: