Thursday, December 18, 2008

One, Two TIE Your Shoe

The Girl learned how to tie her shoes tonight.

I was shocked.

I didn't teach her.

Neither did her dad.

Nor her teacher.

He did.

Learning to Dress Elmo was a gift to The Little Man when he turned one. Recently, the kids figured out how I had turned him off. Because listening to Elmo's sweet voice day and night eventually almost caused me to throw him through a window, I had decided it was time to turn him off.

Somehow he resurfaced a couple of days ago. Apparently, since then, the kids have figured out that stuffed animals that are supposed to talk, but aren't, just need to have their switch flipped in their back behind the Velcro.

Joy.

Since The Girl only owns one pair of shoes that have shoelaces in them, I really haven't focused on teaching her how to tie her shoes. It really wasn't a battle I thought was worth the time at the moment seeing as how her current Velcro shoes and Crocs were serving her just fine.

Then, tonight, she bounded out of the playroom and dashed upstairs to her bedroom. Next thing I know she is down in the kitchen showing me how she taught herself how to tie her shoes. There she was, standing there with her one pair of shoes that have laces, both shoes with beautiful bows in them.

I am a little sad I didn't get to teach her this milestone. Sad that I didn't get to see her face the first time that the laces made a tight bow.

She's as proud as a peacock.

She should be, I guess. She used a doll to teach her how to tie her shoes.

I wish that they had a Table Manners Elmo. An Always Pick Up Your Socks Elmo would be nice too. I will be begging for them to make a Don't Sass Your Mother Elmo.

Alas, they are just dreams. Far fetched dreams.

No comments: