Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Think a Drama Class is in Her Future

Thankfully, there is some progress on our home improvement project that has now lasted much longer than we thought. Actually, we both (Scott and I) knew from the beginning that we would be very lucky if they completed the project on time. So even though we thought we would be back at our home for more than just quick pop-ins and check-ups, we also knew that the possibility of staying longer with my In-Laws was going to be pretty high. The kids are still having a ball, and are totally treating it as though they are on vacation.

Tonight was a special night. Grandma and Grandpa have a very large and very nice hot tub. Because I am one of "those" parents, I totally used it to my advantage tonight, and bribed them with it. The Girl and The Little Man were able to keep themselves together for the most part as we ran a number of errands after dinner tonight. Since they were well behaved we said they could get in with us tonight.

They were thrilled beyond all belief. The Little Man stayed on the step, and only moved if someone would hold onto him. That was no surprise seeing as how his swimming lessons last week didn't go so swimmingly due to an extreme fear of deeper water that I had no idea he had. The Girl, on the other hand, well, she thought it was the best swimming pool ever. She was trying to jump and dive all around. Going under water and swimming back and forth, she was proud she could hold her breath the whole way (which was about 4 feet). She even asked me if I could run inside and grab her goggles for her.

It was hard because holding a swim team tryout was just what I had in mind for the night, but I had to say no.

Finally, after getting splashed in the face one too many times and getting kicked, I had to draw the line. I attempted to explain to her that hot tubs are for floating and relaxing in. She wanted to hear no part of that. As she continued her horse play, I told her that if she didn't sit still, she was no longer going to be welcomed in the hot tub.

Daddy, decided to help out with my explanation of the sequence of events that were going to take place if the rules of comfortably floating were not followed. He ended with, "And if you don't settle down, out you go! You'll be done for the night."

A very grumpy and mad Delanie folded her arms and scowled as she walked to the other side of the tub and sat with a big splash and a thud. Then under her breath she uttered, "At first I thought this was going to be the best day of my life. Then it turned into the worst day of my life. I never thought I would have a chance to get to be in the hot tub, and now I finally do, and it's the best thing ever. Then, my dad had to ruin it! He had to just go and bust me. Now it's the worst day ever!"

I sat and laughed.

I never knew how important the hot tub was. Now that I know it's power, I might use it for other parenting things.

No comments: