Monday, July 14, 2008

When She Sings, I Listen

While driving in the car the other day, The Girl and I were silent. The music on the radio was the only thing making any noise. I don't know what she was thinking about, but I was wrestling with God over some things that had been bothering me for a number of weeks now. I was praying that somehow He would remind me of His sufficiency for me. I need not look elsewhere. He was more than enough this time, last time, and for many times still to come. I needed to be reminded of just how big He is and who He is.

As I sat and wrestled, the beginning of a popular song came on the radio. After just the first few notes played, The Girl broke her silence, "Oh Momma! I just LOVE this song!"

This caught me off guard. If The Little Man said this, I would not have thought twice about it. He's my music kid. He loves to dance, and can remember lyrics to songs he has only heard just a few times. Often, he is in the back seat of the car singing right along with me. The Girl, on the other hand, not so much. Sure she sings along to a few songs, but that's about it. Also, I have never seen her break out a dance move that wasn't prompted by someone else asking for it, or encouraged because she was watching someone else get their groove on. She's just not that into music. So it was odd to hear her say that she LOVED a song. Odd enough to make me stop wrestling, and listen to what exactly was on the radio at the time.

After listening for a second, I realized that it was Mercy Me's newest song He Reigns. I too love that song, and have sang to it numerous times. As I responded back to her, "Really? You like this song?" I looked back into the rear view mirror to see her sitting in her seat, head back, eyes closed, and a big smile on her face as she soaked in the truth of the lyrics. There was no question in my mind that she did indeed LOVE that song.

At first, I was so happy to hear that she loved a song. Then happy that it was this song, one that I liked as well, and one that was so full of truth. Then, as I sang the lyrics, I realized it was just the reminder I was searching for. A reminder that it is Him who has been here all along. It's Him that is big enough, loves enough, and is more than enough for any need I have.

Here are the lyrics:
Even before there was a drop in the ocean even before there was a star in the sky even before
the world was put in motion You were on Your throne You were on Your throne.

[chorus]
You reign glory in the highest You reign let creation testify by Your name every knee will bow
and every tongue proclaim that Jesus reigns.

Even before Your hand made the heavens even before the breath of all mankind even before we
had to be forgiven You were on Your throne You were on Your throne. [back to chorus]

Yesterday, today and forever You are God who was, and is and is to come. [back to chorus]

Just what I needed, right when I needed it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Lanie, I too love that song.
Love you
Aunt Sarah