Monday, July 28, 2008

This Is Why I Never Get Anything Done

I'm a sentimental type. I really like holding onto certain things just for the fact that one day I'll find it again and relive the memory of whatever it was that took place. I guess that is why I so love photography. It's just a snip-it of time, captured forever. You can go back and look at the picture and remember sounds, smells, as well as all that was going on that day. I just love that.

I also take a lot of video. I can't help it. I just love watching home movies. Listening to the way that my babies sounded when they were first learning how to talk brings tears to my eyes. I smile and giggle the whole way through videos, reliving the moment as if it were taking place right now.

I love it when you come across a picture or a video of something that you have completely forgotten all about. I get so happy re-playing it and thinking to myself, "I am so happy I have this!" Had video not been invented, there would be so much I think I would simply forget. Some things that I swore I would never forget, would just slip my mind due to the busyness of my day to day life.

As I was looking for a particular photo tonight, I got totally wrapped up in some video that I found along with it. Thankfully, the kids also love watching video, particularly when it is of themselves. What was supposed to be a 5 minute chore turned into an hour and a half of pure entertainment as we all walked down memory lane.

Just think if I had missed capturing the day my sweet boy needed help because he was trying to play outside on a warm and muggy day. He needed help because the goggles he was wearing (some things never change) got all fogged up and he couldn't see anymore. I remember laughing about that for a couple of days, yet as I pulled up the video to see what it was, I couldn't remember right off hand. As I watched it again, I laughed, then I marveled at how far he has come in one short year in his speaking capabilities. He talks so much now that I can barely get a word in edgewise, and I had long forgotten the days when only one word conveyed everything he was trying to say. And this...this helps me to remember the times I thought he wouldn't walk until he was two. All the trips to physical therapy, and extra work at home finally paid off. Looking at him now, watching him climb all over like a little monkey, ride his bike, and run circles around his sister, you'd never know it...I might have even forgotten it.

Then there is The Girl. She has started Champ Camp again this summer. I found these little gems as I was going through last years photos. Her first attempt at a push-up should have clued me into all of the athletic prowess we were about to encounter for the week. I was not disappointed one bit when they pulled out the soccer balls. She always has a good time though, and could hardly wait to get back there this year. I am happy to say there has been some improvement (you'll be happy to know later this week I will have a post concerning Champ Camp and how far we've come).

Although I would say that I tend to go a bit overboard in "capturing the memory", I hope one day my kids will love going through all of the pictures and video as much as I do. I hope they will never say, "Look at all this junk!", but instead will sit and pour over it with as much enthusiasm as I do every time I go through it. I hope it brings their childhood back into their memory and helps them to remember things that were once forgotten. I know all the pictures and video of my childhood help me to remember just like it was yesterday. I'm glad I come by my sentimental behaviors honestly, and I am thankful for it too every time I get a chance to flip through my baby photo albums that were stuffed full all those years ago.

No comments: