Saturday, July 12, 2008

I'm Thinking of Bottling it Up and Selling It as a Fine Cologne

Today was laundry day. It was the first big laundry day since moving back in last week. Since we had the luxury of staying with my In-Laws while our house was being worked on, I was able to come home with all of our clothes CLEAN. I found this fabulous. I only packed enough clothing for one week, and then just kept washing stuff as needed. The Little Man, he didn't really care about my easy way around having to pack a ton of clothing, except for one thing. He noticed something was different with his Baboo.

Baboo is The Little Man's security blanket. Both of my kids have/had one. Whether they knew it or not, I was forcing a lovey on them from their first day of life. It made my life that much easier when they had something besides myself to get comfort from. The Little Man has several Baboos. He gets a new clean one each night before bed so they don't get too dirty. This is where we ran into trouble.

Part of the deal with Baboo, is that he has a certain smell. That smell would be the laundry detergent and fabric softener I use. Nothing too special just a little Purex and Bounce. Apparently Pax just loves it. So much so that he threw all his Baboos in the dirty clothes that last week at Grandma's house. He told me it was because they were all dirty. When I told him that I had just cleaned them all, and they were fresh he looked very confused and said, "No, they are not fresh. They are smelly!"

They were not smelly at all, but Grandma uses a different kind of detergent, and The Little Man's nose was very sensitive to this slight difference. He didn't care if the shirt he put on that morning smelled different or the PJ's he put on that night had a slightly different aroma to them, but when he put that Baboo up to his nose, something was amiss. I had to convince him all week that the Baboos were clean, and everyday I had to pull them out of our dirty clothes bin. Thankfully, they were still folded up so I could tell which ones were still clean.

Tonight, as I was putting the kids to bed, Pax pulled out a new Baboo. I washed ALL of them today so that he would stop with the insanity. I never mentioned it to him that they were all getting a washing, but I didn't need to. As he pulled out a fresh Baboo from his dresser and put it up to his nose, he smiled from ear to ear.

"Momma! My Baboo! He smells so perfect! He's clean and fresh again! Thank you Momma! Thank you for my new fresh Baboos!"

With that he ran to bed and snuggled that blanket like he hasn't seen him for a week.

For what it's worth, I thought the detergent we used at my In-Laws was just fine...

No comments: