Friday, July 6, 2012

A Mid-Summer Va-Cay and a Near Drowning

Our little foursome hit the road for a bit of a mid-summer break get-away.  We were so excited to go, the night before we left, the kids and I sat out side waiting for The Hubs to return from his business trip.  Because I didn't calculate very well, we ended up hanging out on the drive way for over an hour.

Even Gracie could be found waiting for The Hubs:
 While we waited, we got a little bit silly:

It was a great night to spend an hour or so outside:

The next day, we packed it up and headed for the hills.  We were hoping that we remembered everything.  As usual, something always gets forgotten.  Do you think there is any room in there for my toothbrush?

From that point on, we were in "Mountain Mode".  The Hubs would like to bring "mountain activities" into our every day lives in the 'burbs.  I like that these activities are just a part of our Mountain Adventures.  It keeps everyone safe.
The Little Man and his cousin

The Girl and her cousin

We stuck with BB guns for the first day:




After a few rides into the forest with The Hubs driving, The Little Man refused to be a passenger any longer, claiming "Daddy is way too dangerous of a driver".  So they swapped places and all was good again.

The Girl was happy with her driver, though.  She remained a happy passenger.
Once in the forest, the kids ditched the BB guns and had some real target practice.  They both really enjoyed this and did pretty well for their first try.  (See what I mean about keeping "mountain activities" in the mountains!)

 Of course, there is always hiking in the mountains:

  And to wrap up our stay here, we were able to take in a beautiful sunset.

Once we were back home, it was straight to a 4th of July picnic.  We've been attending this same picnic with our church family for seven years in a row.  Just because we had been driving home from the mountains, still slightly dirty, and had no time to unpack or get ourselves put together did not mean we should miss it this year.  The sad (but necessary) part: no fireworks this year.  Almost all shows were canceled this year due to the extreme drought and the high fire danger our state is dealing with.   So, I had to settle for these two little firecrackers:
I'm good with that.

After so many days away,  I had to get serious about getting back into training mode for my upcoming triathlon.   With only a month to go, it was time to take my swimming skillz to open water.  The kids and I headed to a local reservoir, and I showed that reservoir who's boss.

OK.  I actually felt like I was going to die.  Reservoirs are like pools of ice compared to the neighborhood pool. Reservoirs have small under currents.  Reservoirs have smallish waves that slap you in the face as you turn to take a breath.  Lastly, reservoirs do not have clear water which leads to swimming several meters in the wrong direction without knowing. 

Boy, I do love the pool.

I will have to hit this reservoir a few more times before I will feel ready for the race.

As for the kids, they loved the sand, but complained the water was way too cold. 

Yea, I know what that's all about.

No comments: