Saturday, November 27, 2010

This Time It Was On Purpose

Yup, I realize it's been a few days.  I did that on purpose, though.  I thought it was more important spend these last few days with the fam than it was for me to blog. 

Turns out, I was right.

I have really enjoyed the last few days with everyone, despite the holiday stress.

Thursday was a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I couldn't really complain about too much.  First, I am thankful that I didn't have to host this year.  Second, since The Hubs went and played flag football in the annual Turkey Bowl our church has, I got to do whatever I wanted to that morning.

Well, you know, with two kids in toe.

So, I popped in a movie and hopped on the treadmill for some pre-damage control. Which leads me to my next stop:  Third, I am thankful for my Mom's caramel corn.  It's the best stuff ever.  I am also thankful for taco dip and spinach dip.  I also love me a good french onion dip.  Really, just give me a dip.  Fourth, I am thankful that I completely avoided stuffing myself the entire day.  I really hate that feeling of eating too much, and so I was trying to be very conscious of how full I was getting through out the day, and making sure I didn't over do it.  I am desperately trying to live in the Land of Moderation these days.  It's an interesting and eye opening place to visit, but I haven't quite settled in yet.  And lastly, of course, I was very thankful to be surrounded by my family and extended family all day long. 

Yesterday, I was very thankful that I decided to forgo Black Friday shopping.  It just didn't seem necessary this year.  Maybe it was the Land of Moderation beckoning me, or just that I didn't seem to care too much about getting out in the crowds.  Whatever it was, sleeping in and going out for breakfast instead turned out to be quite wonderful.  I did do a little shopping after breakfast, but nothing too crazy.  I came home after a couple of hours and The Hubs had gotten out all of our Christmas decorations.  That's where I lived for the rest of the day.  Chest deep in Christmas decor.  Our house looks like a bomb went off.  Hopefully, tomorrow that will all change as I finish and clean.  I thought about the Land of Moderation a few times during this whole decorating extravaganza, but the kids' excitement has kept me from packing all away.

Which leads me to today.  Today, I finally got to the Family Tree (we have two trees, one that is decorated with coordinating decor, and our Family Tree).  The Family Christmas Tree has ornaments either for or made by each child for each Christmas they have celebrated.  It also has ornaments on it for The Hubs and I.  We bought the tree the first Christmas we were married, and it holds a lot of family memories of Christmases past.  It is so fun to decorate as we go through all the ornaments and remember when we got them and why we chose that ornament that year. 

As we were getting ready to get started, The Hubs was fluffing the bow that goes on the top (Oh, he is SO excited I just shared that he is the bow-fluffer!), and the bow fell apart.  Completely.  We tried to fix it, but as I was working on it, it came to my mind that the poor bow as been stored and used for TEN years now.  We decided to let the bow go to where ever bows go to when they die, and find a new tree topper. 

Well, as you can imagine, this impromptu trip to buy a new topper put a little stress into my day.  I was not planning on doing this, and I really wasn't sure what kind of topper I wanted.  The whole fam came with so we could all choose which topper we wanted, but ultimately the final decision was going to be made by me.  I'm embarrassed to share this, but I was stressed.  I wanted the tree to look so special.  It's our family tree!  Then I got a little whisper in my ear, "This is supposed to be fun!  The kids don't care what kind of topper the tree has or what ribbon goes around it, they just want to spend time going through ornaments and decorating."    It was just one of those moments where you remember what you are supposed to be focusing on, and making everything look perfect, wasn't it.  Today, I am thankful for remembering to be in the moment, and have fun. 

Oh, and the tree?  I think it looks pretty darn perfect.

No comments: