Monday, November 29, 2010

A Steadfast Mind and Some Warm Pants

Yesterday, a few things happened that I was thankful for:

1.  I heard a good word at church.  As we are studying stillness during this frantic season, I was reminded where my mind should be while I seek out some stillness/peace in the busyness.  We looked at this passage in Isaiah 26:3-4:

"You will keep in perfect peace
   those whose minds are steadfast,
   because they trust in you.
 Trust in the LORD forever,
   for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal."

Remembering not to focus on external circumstances and allowing them to swallow me up,  but instead keeping a steadfast mind on the Lord.  Peace comes from a mind stayed on Him.  A mind that is stayed on Him trusts in Him.  If I am trusting in Him I will find peace because I no longer have to trust in myself to make things happen, to get things done, to make things work out.  I can trust instead in Him who has proven to be faithful, righteous, just, and who loves me and who has a good plan for me.

Ahhhh.  That does make my heart (and my mind) still. 

2.  On a little bit more of the not-so-deep side, I got all my Christmas decorating done and the house clean.  Yes, thankful indeed!

3.  Lastly yesterday, began Advent season, and this year I found a great book that takes you day by day, all the way through until Christmas Eve, with daily devotionals, scripture, and activities for the whole family.  I was a little leery before we got started because some of the devotionals seemed like they might be a little too old for the kids, but thankfully they jumped right in.  They were interested and engaged and had topic appropriate comments.  This week we talk about hope, and right now I am hopeful that this new family tradition will keep our minds stayed on Him all season through (see number 1). I am thankful for this new family tradition.

Today, it is blustery, cold, a little snowy, and a whole lot of yuck.  You know, for people like me who feel like things are a little "off" when temps drop below 75 degrees.  So today, I am thankful for my warm cozy Jammie pants, and a full day where I can sit in them and enjoy the coziness they bring.  After heading out for a quick workout and an errand, I was so happy to see that the rest of the day I was free to stay inside, nice and toasty, and comfortable in my Jammie pants.

No comments: