Monday, November 8, 2010

I Blame it on the Time Change

GAH!  I already missed a day?  All I can say is, "I told you so".

Also, I do remember what I was thankful for yesterday so this should be easy for me to catch up on.

Daylight savings came to an end yesterday.  In the past seven years this has meant nothing but torture to me. I would sit and remember the days of old when I would relish in the one hour of extra sleep and either catch up on rest or get an extra hour of stuff done.  Since having children, those days came to a screeching halt as my sweet cherubs could care less what the clock says and only respond to the clock in their stomachs.  In the early days of motherhood this meant one more feeding through the night.  As they grew out of night feedings, it meant that we were up at 6:00 am instead of 7:00 am to eat our breakfast.  It also translated into a day of torture as I  painfully tried to adjust their schedule to the new time difference convincing them that it wasn't time to eat lunch yet, and that nap that they I we so desperately needed would need to be put off for one. more. hour.  And the day?  I know it was only an hour time change, but it seemed like it stretched on to eternity.

This year was different.

This year BOTH children recognized the gift we were all receiving by turning those clocks back.  We all relished in an extra hour of sleep and snuggle time.  We all enjoyed waking up with the sun instead of a full hour before the sun.  There was no one begging to eat at 0'dark thirty, and no one fussy as they tried to hold off napping for one hour.  When bedtime came we all hit the hay and fell a sleep peacefully.  It was WONDERFUL!  I am so thankful to be at a time in our kids lives where we can enjoy this time change and not be cursing the fact that we don't live in a state that does not observe Daylight Savings.

I am also thankful that Daylight savings time comes to an end in November and is not beginning because otherwise, I would be writing a much different post probably titled "Why My Heart Really Lives in Arizona". 

Stay tuned.  March really isn't that far away.

Instead, this made for a very easy something to be thankful for.

You know, that I waited SEVEN years for.

Today, I am thankful for the library.  The amount of free entertainment available there is huge.  And if my kids are entertained, well then, so am I.  We usually come home from the library with two large bags bursting at the seams with books and movies. (Although, I do try to keep movies to a minimum because here they can only be checked out for one week while books are available for three weeks.  What that means in this house is when the books are due, I am usually looking at a pile of movies that I was supposed to take back two weeks ago.  So, sometimes the entertainment isn't so free.)

We recently took a break from the library because I needed a break from keeping track of all the library books and different due dates.   A couple of weeks ago, The Girl (or you could even read "I") was assigned a large project on Western Expansion.  It requires a lot of reading, a diorama, and a field trip.  I am so thankful to live in a community that has a great library system available to us.  Because of the library, not only do we get free entertainment, you know, barring I get everything back by it's due date, but I didn't have to BUY any books on Western Expansion.  Because I am sure we would have loved to have read those over and over.

Thank you, library, for allowing us to borrow books we would never want to buy.

And for not charging me an arm and a leg when I forget to return them.

1 comment:

~she~ said...

It's a week later and my youngest is STILL not used to the time change! I'm getting tireder and tireder! (I know that's not a word, but I told you I'M TIRED!) :) Glad to know it will come to an end in 7 years! Ha ha!