Tuesday, November 4, 2008

T Minus 4 Hours and 15 Minutes

It's almost here! Freedom from the political craziness that has taken over our lives in every direction we turn.

I am thankful we live in a country were we have a voice, and are not living under any type of political oppression. I have done my duty as a citizen of this country, and I have talked with my children about this important responsibility.

I am also thankful that my name is on the roster to receive a mail-in ballot. Permanently. I did not have to stand in line, or go through the LONGEST ballot in our state's history while standing in a voting boot. Instead, I sat in my kitchen and ate cookies as I read through our ballot guide book, and felt no pressure to "hurry and make up my mind, already", and if I felt like I needed to read over something again and again to fully understand what I was reading, I did. No. Big. Deal.

Now, I wait for the freedom from political ads, emails, and phone calls. We have even had people come to the door. One sweet little guy (seriously, he was 12) even asked who we voted for when we told him we had already voted.

I am so excited to sit through an episode of The Office and not be tormented by political garbage. I never thought I would feel so full of joy at the thought of watching commercials for liquid dish soap. Alas, that day has come.

After today we will have a new President, new people in the Senate and Congress, and amendments made to our state's constitution. There will be all kinds of news coverage of how it all went down as well as analysis on every breath taken. That will be quickly followed up with the inauguration and the inaugural address. Then...more analysis.

February never sounded so good.