Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I've Got to Be Fair

Now that we are all caught up on The Little Man, it's time to get up to speed with The Girl. I miss having her around everyday. I feel like she is leading a whole other life without me at school, and my heart hurts at the thought. I desperately try to get the details of her day, everyday at pick up, but she just gives the bare minimum, and claims to not really remember the details. I NEED the details. She must think I am a lunatic when I pry.

I am totally a lunatic, and I don't care.

Here's what I know:

1. She adores school. She can't get enough. She talks about it so much I get jealous. I am only slightly teasing with that last comment. She loves all her classmates, and thankfully has not experienced any mean spirited comments or actions that often accompanies school-aged children. I can't even bare to think about what that day will look like. I hope it is still far off.

She was able to eat lunch at school last week because of conference scheduling they had. She could barely wait until that day, and I imagine she probably counted down the minutes until lunch time that day. She was so excited about a thermos bowl I found for her at Super T because that meant she could bring a bowl of soup. The Girl LOVES soup.

As I unpacked her lunch pack from the day I noticed she had barely touched her soup as well as everything else I packed her. I asked her why she didn't eat lunch that day. She claimed they didn't have enough time. I asked her if she may have been talking too much and just didn't get a chance to eat because of all the talking. She grinned a little bit and said that could have been part of why she didn't eat, but mainly they didn't give her enough time. Considering she takes nearly an hour to eat her lunch at home, I am not surprised that she felt rushed with her half hour lunch break at school.

I guess we'll need to work on that at home a little bit before the first grade starts and she falls off the growth chart due to malnutrition.

2. She has taken a small break from her Magic Tree House books. She wanted to try the Life of Faith girl books. I was all for that. They are very similar to the American Girl dolls, but they have the "Faith" element added into their stories. I loved that idea.

We put our name on the wait list for a book at the library so we could get started. She wanted the book about the doll she thought was the prettiest, Violet. So we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

We waited close to four months to get our turn with the story of Violet Travillia. Once we got it, we dove right in.

Can I say, I miss the Magic Tree House books?

I mean, I guess this book is OK, but I find it a bit boring. Violet is a little over the top in the drama department, which I am all about, but...it's a little annoying. Plus, the writing in this book is a bit too much for The Girl. Also, there are a TON of characters, and I for one, am having a hard time keeping everyone straight. All that to say, I do still LOVE the concept, and the over all message of the book is great.

I asked her tonight if she wanted to ditch the book and read a Junior Mystery I got for her instead. She said, "No, I love this book, Mom! Don't you? I mean, it's getting so good!"

Really?

I guess I need to pay closer attention.

Thankfully, she got me up to speed as to what was going on. You would think since I am the one reading the book, I should know what is going on...

3. She is loving gymnastics. She still isn't a stellar gymnast, but she is having fun. That's all that matters anyway. The school that she goes to is really great. I love that they work really hard on coordination and basic gross motor skill with an emphasis in gymnastics. Meaning that they don't just sit and work tricks all night long. They have obstacle courses they work through, and they get to work on things that increase their strength. The gymnastics is worked into those things, but isn't the whole objective. This works well for The Girl because it helps her to be successful through out the practice and she doesn't feel like she is horrible at gymnastics because she didn't learn how to do a certain trick.

The best part about gymnastics is that both kids go at the same time. They are still in their own classes, but this particular school has a classes for each child at the same time!

SCORE.

No comments: