Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's Starting Already

Here we are, at mid-November, and my kids already have Christmas on the brain full-time. I have been getting approximately one or twelve toy magazines A DAY in the mail. The stores have already put out their Toy Book ads in the newspapers. The political ads have been replaced with toy commercials which are even airing during prime time television. It's totally CRAZY.

We had some problems last year with The Little Man having a few meltdowns in stores while we Christmas shopped. Seems as though he couldn't understand the idea of giving to others. He just wanted to get for himself. Since he was only two and a half, we cut him a little slack. I was hoping this year would be different in that he would be more excited about getting gifts for others and surprising them with something special. I have seen this recently with him picking out and giving birthday gifts. Also, I thought since he is a bit older, we might be able to talk about giving and the reason behind it a little bit more rationally this year.

Really, I was hoping that last part wouldn't even have to happen. I was hoping The Little Man had morphed into a new boy this year and we would just give merrily, all season long. Considering he has already compiled a list of what he wants for Christmas this year that is so long he decided (on his own, mind you) that maybe he should split his wish list for Christmas into a Birthday wish list too, I don't think any type of metamorphosis took place. Yes, he now has two lists of "wants", and his birthday is over six months away.

Add that to the conversation we had tonight, and I think a lesson in giving is probably right around the corner:

me: Hey buddy, tomorrow you and Mommy are going shopping at a special toy store to look for Christmas presents.
P: Really! For who?
me: Well, we need to get presents for sister.
P: And who else?
me: Well, we also have our cousins K and C.
P: And who else?
me: Oh, and also cousins J and J and S and B.
P: Ya, and who else?
me: Well, I think that is all who will like that type of toy store, and that is a lot of people in one day.
P: (starts to cry and whine) Momma!
me: What's wrong?
P: How come we won't go shopping for me at that store? I will like the toys there!
me: Well, we can't go shopping for you while you are there. I have to shop for you when you aren't with me so it can be a surprise. Remember, we like our presents to be a surprise?
P: I don't want a surprise. I just want a present.

Have mercy.

No comments: