Wednesday, November 19, 2008

As If Mornings Weren't Hard Enough

It's been a bit difficult around these parts for me during breakfast time. It seems as though my children's finicky eating habits may not fall too far from the tree. Some might call me finicky as well. I even have a hard time watching some types of food get eaten. For example, really juicy meat will send me right over the edge. I also can't stand the look of sausage. Not ground meat or patty sausage, but the link variety. I saw a picture of some link type sausage in a magazine today that was touting some fantastic recipe using sausage. I am sorry, but there is not a talented enough food photographer in the entire world who can make a big old fat piece of link sausage look like something I want to put into my mouth and chew.

Nope.

No way.

Ain't happening.

I am sitting here with heeby jeebies just thinking about it.

Where were we?

Oh yea, food aversions.

So recently, The Girl, has really been, unknowingly, making me sick to my stomach at breakfast. Along with really juicy (read slimy or fatty) meat and link sausage, I can not stand to watch or think about someone eating soggy cereal. And if you want to see me gag, go ahead and drink the milk out of your bowl when your done.

Oh ya, I just gagged a little.

Please do not think that I am judging you for these things if you do them. I clearly understand that I am weird, and am also in the minority. It seems as though most people do like to drink the milk from their bowls after their cereal is gone. Which is why there are actually bowls out there with straws built into them. Also, I know people who choose their breakfast cereal based on the flavor of milk that is left in the bowl when they are done.

Clearly, I am a person with weird food issues. Thankfully, I have learned to deal with them, as well as the rest of the people who have to live with me, even though they get highly annoyed at times.

I'm sure that you have probably guessed that The Girl likes to wait for her cereal to get really soggy, and when she is done getting out the sog, she slurps up all the milk in her bowl.

Oh heavens, I can hardly stand it.

I actually have to leave the room most of the time. I definitely can't watch her eat the sog, and when she tips the bowl to her lips, I usually find something else I need to do away from the kitchen.

I refuse to say anything to her because I know what she is eating is good for her. Also, she really really likes it, and I don't want to ruin that for her.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, The Little Man can't stand to have milk in his cereal. So he eats dry cereal and has a glass of milk for breakfast. Lately, he has been particularly fond of "granola". I call it "granola" because it's actually just oats and honey. Since The Girl has a peanut allergy, and most nuts are processed with peanuts, we don't get granola that contains the yummy stuff in it like almonds, cashews, or walnuts. I guess at that point, the makers of granola have decided that if you don't want nuts, you don't want anything else in your "granola" either. So it's just oats and honey. That's it!

Can you even imagine eating a bowl of oats and honey or "granola", if you wish, without the milk? The Little Man puts his face in a bowl of it almost every morning. Just like a horse with a bag of oats.

My mouth and throat are dry just thinking about it.

Maybe that's why The Girl is slurping down her cereal milk.

She's got sympathy dry mouth.

No comments: