Monday, July 27, 2009

I Must Make it Look Too Easy

After a wonderful Anniversary Weekend (NINE YEARS! I can hardly believe it myself!), it was time to get back to reality on this Monday. And can I just add, it is the last day for the next FIVE days that we will be in the 80's.

Seriously, people.

It is the last week of July, and we will be in the low 70's all week.

I can barely even type that without feeling by blood boil.

Which is probably what I will need in order to stay warm.

In July.

They (our trusty local meteorologists) have officially declared this an El Nino year. Basically stating, that our winter will be dreadful as well.

Sweet.

Nothing like coming off of a cool, wet summer to then go into a cold, wet winter.

Moving on.

Monday's have kind of unofficially turned into "Stay at home and clean up from the weekend" days. Since our weekends are so busy and tend to get away from us, our home takes a beating. Mondays have been great days to pick up, reorganize, and relax (if you can call cleaning relaxing). We had some fun today too. I hooked up a sprinkler for a short time, and the kids played and giggled for about 20 minutes. That's how long it took for them to realize that the water that comes out of the hose, is no where near the same temperature of water that they are used to playing in at our neighborhood's heated pool. Once the chill set in, (remember it isn't warm here) they were ready to be done and come inside.

Later, this evening, it was time to clean up the day's mess. Since we were at home for the majority of the day, there was a larger than normal mess in the toy room. The kids thought I was HORRIBLE for making them clean up their own toys and their own mess. Of course, there is always dessert waiting for them when they are done. I guess, I should say, when I decide they are done because really, if it was up to them? They would just shift things around on the floor and call it good. So, as I was checking out their handy work in the toy room and surrounding areas, I had this conversation with The Girl:

me: Are you ready for me to check the toy room?
kids: Yes.
me: Well, before I even get to the toy room, I can see that there are still some toys out here in the hallway.
d: Uggg. This is seriously the worst day of my entire life.
me: The worst day? Really.
d: Yes, this is the absolute most horriblest day ever.
me: Well, I guess it could be worse, you could lose dessert for not finishing your chores.
d: I can hardly wait until I am a grown up.
me: Really? Why's that?
d: That means no more cleaning. Ever. Never. I won't ever clean again when I am a grown up. Grown ups never have to clean up.

I must have missed that memo.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Sorry, Mandie. I think the weather may be my fault. I think it's a gift from a loving God to His pregnant daughter with no a/c. So I'm loving it... but sorry :o)

Kelly said...

ah, the naivety of childhood! let here revel in it a few more years. reality comes all too swiftly.....

Unknown said...

Can totally relate on the weather issue. It just seems wrong to have to pull out a fleece in July.

As for the kids and cleaning, I remember when JP said to me, "We (meaning the kids) do all the work around here, you never do anything." I wondered who thought did everything until he was big enough to do it...not to mention all the chores that went unassigned. Kids are funny.

Have a great day and Keep up the God work.