Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hoop Dreams

A new character trait has recently emerged from The Little Man. I am happy to say it is a pleasant one. We have really started seeing it just this summer with all the activities that we are able to do outside. Things like bike riding, baseball, Frisbee, basketball, swimming, etc, etc, so on and so forth. The Little Man is quite the encourager.

He has a keen sense of knowing when someone needs just that little boost of an encouraging word to try harder. If they just so happened to surprise even themselves, he's quick to let them know what an awesome job they did and give them a high five.

He doesn't just encourage others, he also is good at encouraging himself. He's quick to yell out a "Yea, baby!" when he sinks a basket or throws a Frisbee straight. Playing with him is just down-right enjoyable.

Today, when he asked if I wanted to shoot some hoop, I couldn't pass it up. He was very excited to practice up on his skills. Right away he started in, "Nice dribbling, Momma!" Next he wanted to see who could be the first one to shoot 20 hoops. He sunk one first.

(Hey, I never claimed to be any sort of baller. I guess that's another reason why I like playing with him.)

After a few more shots, I made it in the hoop. "Yea, Mom! Way to go!" was all he said. I sunk a few more before he made another basket. Each time I got a big dose of encouragement. I could tell that he was a little upset that he was behind, so I went ahead and let him have a few turns in a row. As he sunk his next shot, out came a "Yea, Baby! Way to get it goin' ".

There was something so cute about the tough guy expressions he had, as he would line up to take a granny shot. The two contrasted each other so much, I couldn't help but notice.

I sure hope this is just the beginning of what's to come with him. I know that I enjoy playing games and trying new things out with him. Even in our 30's we still need someone to tell us "You're doing so awesome Mom!"

I don't care if it is a kiddie basketball hoop.

No comments: