Thursday, March 26, 2009

Unsupervised Play

I am just going to flat out admit it. My kids have gotten to an age that close supervision 24/7 is not necessary. I guess what I am confessing is that I allow my kids to be alone in another room without me being there watching their every move. They are six and almost four. I feel like if I need to take a shower, I can and not worry that they are getting into trouble. Sometimes, I will even squeeze in a little treadmill time AND a shower. That means while they are on the main level of the home, I am in the basement and in my room. I hope you all don't turn me in. I am still in the house with them.

And they totally have a babysitter.

Her name is Dora.

Have you met?

Oh, I kid.

(Only half way).

All that to say, yesterday, was one of those days where I needed to hit the treadmill and the shower. I set the kids up with some Sesame Street(another sitter, that is available for a whole hour), and quickly worked out and showered. As I was getting ready, I heard this conversation:

d: come on, Bro. It won't hurt. I promise.
p: NO. I don't want to. It will hurt. I promise.
d: No it won't. Just do it.
p: NO, NO, NO!
d: Bro! Come on...Come over here. It will just take a second.
p: No! You're going to hurt me.

That's when I intervened. Of course, The Girl said that NOTHING was going on. They were just "playing".

I completely believed her.

Again, I kid.

I made her stop what she was doing so she could come up to me and explain what they were playing.

me: Now, tell me what you are playing because I heard Bro tell you that he thought he was going to get hurt.
d: He wasn't getting hurt.
me: I know he isn't hurt now, but he thought what you were going to do was going to hurt him. Now why would he think that? What exactly are you wanting him to do.
d: He won't get hurt. I just want him to do some chemical testing on his skin.

Sesame Street is TOTALLY fired.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie (a.k.a. Mommy) said...

Hilarious!!! They are so cute! And oh, how I can see Rach doing that in the future. I think it's great you let your kids have some alone time together. Those are some of my fondest memories w/my sisters.

Tara said...

That is the exact reason why I plan to keep baby monitors hidden in their rooms until they go off to college. :)