Friday, March 25, 2011

All Things Old

As I celebrate my birthday today, I can't help but notice all things that point to how old I am.

1) For the record, I don't really ever feel old when I have a birthday.  Sure there are the "milestone" birthdays, but I always have viewed them as "Rights of Passage" type birthdays.  Now when my kids have birthdays, well, that is a whole other story.  Those birthdays make me feel old in a "I can't believe I am old enough to have an eight year old" or "My youngest child is already five!" sort of way.  But my own birthdays? no.  They don't really make me feel old.

Until this year.

I always thought that people who complained about their birthdays, tried to avoid their special day, or told everyone they were "Turning 21 again" were saying those things because they ARE old.  Now, I am that person.  In this past week, I have completely forgotten that I was having a birthday,  I have been tempted to "lie" about my age in the spirit of "I'm turning 29 again",  and have been trying to avoid doing anything special  in hope that the whole day would just disappear.

The surprise birthday party The Hubs threw for me totally threw a wrench in that last statement.

But it was totally sweet, completely unexpected, and so very happy.

So, I totally forgave him on the spot.

2) For my birthday dinner, all I can hope for, and am totally anticipating, is an all you can eat buffet.

My love for Sweet Tomatoes is still very strong, and as I age I imagine that it will only grow stronger.

3) I hurt my hip running.  Did I slip? Did I trip? Did I forget to stretch?  No.  I was on a treadmill and simply hurt my hip just because I was running.  So basically, at this point in the game of life, by body parts are just wearing out on me.

Awesome.

4) Even if I could run without hip pain, I can't.  Earlier in the week, I had to have more moles removed from my tummy.  Remember my skin cancer last summer?  Yea,  it's surprising that someone as YOUNG as me would have skin cancer, right?  Or maybe, I'm not all that young?  Thankfully, they were only "A-typical", but the doctor said she wasn't comfortable leaving them alone, especially with my "history".

Great word. 

All I could think of was that I was old enough to have a "history".

5) While there were many other things that helped me to feel really old this week, I am going to end with this one.  It ties back to number one.   The Little Man has reached a milestone.  One that I don't think I can wrap my heart around right now.

He has a loose tooth.

I know. I know.  Not the end of the world.  BUT! This is my YOUNGEST CHILD.  He is now going to be losing his teeth.  Do you all remember the torment I went through when The Girl started losing her teeth?  Oh, the horror.  Now, it's my baby's turn. 

He'll never look the same again.

Oh, and he learned how to tie his shoe this week.  So, basically, he's moving away to college.

No comments: