Thursday, October 9, 2008

Growing Pains

I am definitely one of those moms who gets a bit weepy when my children pass milestones. Some moms celebrate, I get sad and anxious. I guess I am happy too, I mean I do love to watch my kids grow, but to know we are growing up so fast is kind of sad for me.

In the last few days, The Little Man is really growing up. He has been learning how to correctly say his "L's". I know that is silly to get weepy about, but he sounds so grown up when he says "pLease" instead of "pWease". Granted, the "L" sound he is making in his words is extremely forced and almost sound like a drunken slur, but they are there, and they are only going to get better, and then gone will be the days when I will hear the sweet call of "WANIE!" or "Mommy, wook at that!" or "I rewee wike that one the best".

It also doesn't help that his favorite thing to talk about this past week, besides how he can do everything by himself, has been how old he is. He's all, "Mom, I'm a really big boy now. Ya, I'm way past two, and now I am three." All I can respond with is, " Yup, you are a big boy now," as I sob in the background.

The Girl, on the other hand, is still enjoying Kindergarten. Even though she is just a young five and three quarters years old (she made us celebrate her three quarters milestone this past weekend), she has a very grown up crush on a boy in her class. I promise, I didn't even notice the opposite sex until well into my 7th grade year. I suspect she inherited this interest from her Father.

Mostly, I just like to blame him for things that the kids do that I don't understand and that scare me. I have no idea if her father was the same way in school.

It's just that it frightens me that she has such a big crush on a boy that I don't even know, and she gets to see five times a week.

Also, they play Boys Chase the Girls at recess and she is super giddy over the fact that he always chases her.

And I found out that HE is the reason she wanted to be Batgirl for Halloween. He is going as Batman. She can hardly wait for him to be Batman and her to be Batgirl. So much for wanting to be Batgirl because she loves the boots. I am working diligently at figuring out a way for her to miss school that day because I can't even handle the idea.

Did I mention she goes on and on about how he wears his hair?

The teacher has assured me she thinks that the crush is one sided, but my heart aches as she displays this behavior that seems well beyond her years.

Daddy is looking into an all girl school in the area.

That should totally work. It shouldn't create a rebellious spirit in her at all.

No comments: