Monday, January 3, 2011

There Isn't a Bow Big Enough to Tie This Post Together

So, you might have guessed, but my New Year's resolution list didn't include blogging more.  Good thing!  I have already gotten a big fat "F" on that!

In all seriousness, I have absolutely enjoyed this Christmas break with the kids.  We have had a great time together, and I have had a wonderful break from all things "regularly scheduled".   Truth be told, I would take another week in a heart beat!

Since Christmas we have had a couple of jammie days, a play date, caught up with some chores, watched a ton of movies, gone bowling,  celebrated my dad and The girl's birthday (with my side of the family), and ushered in the New Year with friends and family.

Sadly, tomorrow we are back into reality in a rough way.  I don't think my calendar could possibly hold one more "event".   I keep reminding myself that we are halfway there (to the end of the school year).

Speaking of "Events" tomorrow's main event: The Girl's EIGHTH birthday! Can you believe it?  I can't, and I was the one who gave birth to her.  Sweet mercy.

Thankfully, she has been so kind to me and has allowed for me to postpone throwing her a party until the end of the month.  Here's to hoping I can use the time wisely and pull it all together.

Since we are on the subject of The Girl, I thought I would share a little conversation she had with The Little Man today while they waited with me at the Chiropractic office.  For some reason, while I lay on the heated roller (like a heated massage table) they usually like to hide in the corner and scare the doctor when she comes in to get me.  Thankfully, our doctor is also a mom, is totally easy going, and completely loves children.

p: Sister, are you going to come over and hide with me? I think she is almost coming!
d: No, bro.  I am going to sit right here.  I don't like hiding anymore.
p: What?  Why?
d: Because, bro, hiding is for babies.  I don't know....I just think it's baby-ish.  I guess I've grown out of it now that I'm turning eight tomorrow.
p: huh?
me: Come on.  Just play with your brother.  It's OK to play with him.
d: No.  I don't want to.
p: Why not?
d: Because it was just a phase I went through for a time, and now I am all grown out of it.  I'm sorry, but you're still in the middle of that phase, and I'm all done with it.
p: Huh?
d: Young kids go through phases.  It's just what they do.  Now I'm eight, and I am all done with that phase.

Since I was almost choking trying to stifle my laughter, I didn't end up convincing her to hide with her brother.

And in absolutely no connection with what is being talked about, I would like to discuss New Year's Resolutions.  Do you make them?  Do you keep them?

For me it's more like goals.  I don't care when they are accomplished, but I do have in my heart what I would like to see happen in the next year.   I don't know how to really describe it, but I am not all about "No sugar" or "Exercise 5x a week" or "Read 15 books" or "Blog everyday".  It's more like I have a desire to see growth in my life or faith walk.  Not that those other types of resolutions are things I scoff at, just that I know for a fact that I will not keep a single resolution.  I can't.

OK.  I probably could, but the pressure!  Oh, the pressure is too much!

So, I do have one thing I will be working on this year, that I will share, and will probably share throughout the year (that's at least my hope...if the pressure doesn't kill me first).  I am going to work really hard at scripture memorization.  This is something I am really bad at.  Seriously.  As I walk through this life, and in it's valleys and peaks, I would just really love to have God's word imprinted in my heart. 

(See, right now, I know that there are TONS of scripture that talk about how important it is and how beneficial it is to have God's work tucked away in your heart, but guess what?  Can't recall them exactly or know their references.  Point made)

So I am going for 12 new scriptures written on my heart this year.  Once a month, I'll have a new one to work on and work through. I am hoping each one will meet me where I am at, and as I review them at the end of the year, it will be kind of like a review of my year.

Right now, I am going through a time in which I am pretty anxious.  There are many things that worry me, and a few that will actually keep me up at night or cause slight panic during the day.  As I have prayed through this, the Holy Spirit has been merciful enough to show me that I have a control problem.  The need to control is rooted, for me, out of lack of trust.  It gets pretty messy at times.  So here is January's memory verse (although, I know there are plenty of scripture that talk about trusting and worry, I am going with this one this month and we'll see where February takes me.).

6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Philippians 4:6-8


WHEW!

That's a big one!

That's OK. Truth be told, I am kind of cheating on this first go 'round.  I had this verse a few years ago in a study, and was supposed to memorize it then.   Didn't work out so well.

It will now though!

I even have a cute little spiral bound note cards so I can take my verses everywhere and work on them whenever I have a couple of minutes. 

I can hardly wait to see what scripture God has waiting for me this year.

1 comment:

~she~ said...

Wow...what a wonderful goal! I love how you phrased it as accomplishing goals, not setting resolutions.

In my younger days, I was on a Bible Quizzing team. Each year, I would commit hundreds of verses to memory. It's amazing how many I can recall today...not always the reference, but I can remember almost every word. Studying the book of Psalms was my favorite. The beautiful poetry was so easy to memorize. Psalm 91 is a personal favorite as is Psalm 27:4. Those are some references I will never forget.

Good luck in your ventures! Flash cards are a big help. Also, practice the 5, 5, 5 plan. Take the first phrase, say it 5 times. Add the second phrase, say both together 5 times, etc.