Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Is It Even Possible to Use One More Set of "Quotation Marks"?

As mentioned a few times now, The Fam all headed to the hills a few weeks back. It was our way of taking advantage of a random three day weekend as well as trying to soak in some mountain-y fall colors.  Plus, we also get to spend time with some of our most favorite peeps while they graciously open up their "Cabin" to us.  (There is a debate out there as to whether or not their "Cabin" can be called a cabin.  Some argue that it is too much like a house to be called a "Cabin" while others state that because it is in the mountains, it is by default a "Cabin".  I call it a "Cabin" because that is what the owners call it, and I want to be invited back as much as they can possibly stand me.)

So there we were, at the "Cabin" enjoying some lovely mountain fall goodness.  We enjoyed all sorts of fun mountain type things.  I should say, my idea of "mountain fun" and other people's ideas of "mountain fun" could be quite different.  I enjoy: eating all things made homemade, getting cozy by the indoor stove (yes, it has a real fire in it), playing card/board/domino type games, talking, not having cell service, spending time with one another uninterrupted, an enormous amount of time reading, an occasional hike, and a mountain run.  Mostly, I really enjoy coming home and feeling like I had a chance to re-charge my batteries.  Since I came home feeling totally re-charged, I would give this little mini-trip of ours an "A". 

There was this one little adventure, though.

One of the afternoons we were just soaking in some incredible mountain weather, reading magazines lazily outside in the fresh mountain air, The Hubs and his brother decided it would be a great time to head on out for a "hike".  So, reluctantly, I packed away the Fall issue of BHG (which has some amazing stuff in it, by the way), and packed up the kids.  I only say reluctantly because the way they were describing this "hike" was leading me to believe that they may be leaving some parts and pieces out.

Conveniently.

I did want to go on a hike, though, and be apart of what the whole group was doing.  I was just a little hesitant.

We took a little four wheel trail out to the place we were going to "hike".  The kids  all followed us on four wheelers (yes, I have let my children both ride in the bed of a truck with no restraints and let them ride on the back of a four wheeler all within a two month period), while the adults enjoyed the safety comfort of the car.  Once we arrived, and I had a chance to survey the scene a little, I thought to myself I had been ridiculous to be so hesitant about the "hike".  It all looked very harmless.  Everyone unloaded from the car/four wheelers and up the mountain we went.

It all started out fine and dandy.  There was a trail, and we walked on it.  Sweet.  Then things changed a little.  It seemed like the "trail" was getting to be less and less "trail-like" and more and more like we were breaking our own trail.  Then, it had become clear that we were not on a trail at all.  Why?  Well, because there were big boulders in front of us.  There was no cute little trail that led anyone around and through the boulders, nor any of those really cute little "nature made" stairs that aided us in hiking up this mountain.  No, instead we were going to switch from hiking mode, to rock climbing mode.

With no ropes.

And my children who are seven and five.

And a mom who isn't necessarily afraid of heights, but more like doesn't enjoy watching other people (namely the ones she loves) walking around in really high, rocky places.

However, up we went!

I was hoping thought for sure one of the kids would not be able to make it any further, and I would have to sacrifice the joy of making it all the way to the top while I sat back with the scared child and consoled them(so sad).

Remember those rock climbing adventures we took the kids on?

Right.

Good choice, Mom.

So we made it to the top!  It was very pretty, and I am very happy that the kids had the satisfaction of doing and accomplishing something that was very challenging for them.  Once I reached the bottom again, I was very happy that we all did the climb together (including myself), and we all got to experience something fun as a family.  Mostly, I was happy we were all safe again. 

OK, here are the pics to go along with the story...in case you don't believe me:
Here we are trucking along on a four wheel trail and up in front who do we have?



















Oh! Two sweet little cousins enjoying a little four wheeler action:



















Here is the rock/mountain we were going to climb:



















Still having a grand ol' time.  Why? Because we still had a trail!
































































The Girl taking my breath away with how high up on those rocks she is getting:



















The Kids at the top:






















(If you are wondering why I didn't take another picture once I noticed that The Little Man had blinked, it's because I had to let go of my camera and hold onto the rock for dear life, and then make sure everyone else was doing the same thing.  There is no time for retakes when you are on top of a very tall mountain with no guard rails.)

And here is a pic of our cousin having fun doing some jumping in an area I deemed "safe enough" to monkey around in:



















As you read this dramatic tale of our mountain hike, I do not want anyone to think that I did not appreciate the journey that I went upon.  No, I did have a good time and when it was all over I said many times "Boy!  That sure wasn't as bad as I expected it to be!"  Which again, sounds like I am ungrateful for the wonderful little journey.  Which I am not.  It's just that I was stretched a bit further than I thought I was going to be stretched that day.  Just like stretching your muscles, when you go a little too far, it hurts and it's not too fun, but once it's your done, you realize that it wasn't so bad, and you're glad you did it.

I don't even know if any of that makes sense to me, but I do know that I really had a great time on our weekend getaway "hike" and all.

No comments: