Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It Was a Fall Festival Type Weekend

Since it's Wednesday, I thought it would be perfect to talk about last Saturday.

I still cannot figure out where time goes....

We started off our Saturday at the neighborhood Fall Festival.  I know it sounds cheesy, and for the most part it is, but here's the deal: everything there is FREE.  A free pumpkin for each kid, free bounce houses, free face paining, and free food.  So, after going to two other "Fall Type Events" which cost an arm and a leg (seriously, one place was charging $10 a person just to get in.  You still had to pay for everything you wanted to do while there.  That might sound like I am being a cheap mom, but something about paying close to $80 for a couple of hours of mediocre (at best) fun made me want to scream.  I can think of approximately 103 different things I would like to spend $80 on) I was all over the "free".   Plus, I knew we were going to go to a corn maze later and that they would also be offering face painting and bounce houses for a fee, and if we already had our faces painted and were all bounced out, well then, we could pocket the difference.

Don't get jealous because for ONCE in my life I actually planned ahead.

So back at the neighborhood festival, there we were, standing in line for ONE HOUR to get our faces painted.  By the end of our wait, I was chanting over and over, "It's free, It's free!"  Praise the Lord, He blessed us with wonderful weather, so waiting wasn't too difficult.  Also, The Hubs took the kids to the bounce house while I waited in line so it was like killing two birds with one stone.

Oh, and he also went home to drop off our FREE pumpkins, and hit up a Starbucks.

All while I stood in line.

But we FINALLY made it!  Here is The Girl telling her Face Artist what she would like:





















The Little Man getting right down to business in looking down right scary:










































Getting nitty gritty with the details:






















The Girl was done pretty quickly, as she took on the less is more approach when she chose her face decor:










































True to The Little Man's personality, he wanted it all and the kitchen sink.  So, his face was much more detailed:









































All done!  Can you see what he did here? He wanted to match the mummy on his shirt.









































After loading up at the "Free Festival" we filled ourselves with a not-so-free lunch and then hit up the corn maze:



















(The Hubs might kill me for posting this pic.  He's not fond of pictures where he is shot from behind...)


We were greeted by these Clydesdale horses when we entered the maze area.  They were pulling the cart for the hayride.  Thankfully, The Little Man didn't want anything to do with the horses so we were able to skip this not-so-free addition.

The Girl loves animals of all kinds.  Here she is getting up close and personal.   I think it is safe to look a horse right in the eye, right?










































Getting ready to head into the maze:



















The rules here are very serious:



















Their appreciation for the correct time, however, is not.  After I clicked this shot, I about had a heart attack because we were supposed to be somewhere else by 5:00.  We decided it would be more accurate to track our time through the maze with our own watches:










































Which way do we go?



















The Little Man was not a slow leader. I had to put the fear of being lost forever in the maze with no food or water or treats into him in order for him to get the seriousness of him running off without us:









































Just so you can see how tall the corn was (The Hubs is 6'1"):











































Ah!  We finally made it out! 









































For reference sake, it took us about 20 minutes.  I felt like that was pretty good time since the brochure said to expect an hour.  Then we realized that we totally neglected more than half of the maze.  Oh well, we were tired from our efforts anyway, and since the weather was so nice, instead of cozy-ing up to a cup of hot cocoa or cider, we thought it would be very "Fall Like" to dive right into some snow cones:





















I have to say, I too partook in the snow cones, and they were by far the most delicious I have ever had.  Not icy at all.  They were soft and snowy and full of sugary flavor.

See!  Here's proof that I was actually there (you know, besides the fact that I was the one taking all the pictures)



















In case you didn't get the memo, last Saturday was puffy black vest day.

It's so fun to be twinkies with your sis!

No comments: