Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Just Us

Is it bad that all this global warming stuff is making me so happy?  Seriously, this week has been GORGEOUS.  I can handle this kind of weather for a few more weeks, ok maybe even months, well alright, let's do this until June.  Clear bright blue skies, bright sunshine, trees of all shades and colors, temps in the low 70's.  This is the type of Fall a girl could love.  Oh, and to top it all off, we are all on Fall Break!  I know I don't need to tell you how happy that makes me.  Fall Break is more for me than it is for the kids.  No lunches, no homework, no snacks and water bottles, no bed times, and no real important schedules to keep.  All good things.

Today we enjoyed a small amount of time visiting a local museum.  Usually, I try to plan for these types of outings with friends or family.  I guess I feel like that makes everything so much more special.  And it does.  Today, however, we had a last minute cancellation.  The Little Man was suppose to have a friend and his mommy join us. 

His mommy went into labor instead. 

I thought that was a good reason to back out of a day at the museum.

So, instead of bailing out on our plans, I took the kids anyway.  And it was just us.

It was wonderful.

I forgot what it was like to go to a museum and have them all to myself.  No friends to have to share with.  No other grown-ups to try to catch up with.  Just us.  Hanging out.  Doing things.  Learning things. Chatting. Having a good time.  I am particularly thankful for a moment in time, right there in the museum, that God stopped me right in my tracks and let me really soak in the moment. 

It is an awesome feeling to be able to stop and say to yourself, "Wow, we are really having a good time!" It's a little different than saying, "Yes, we had a good time today." or "Remember that day? It was a good time."  No, the first statement notices what is going on right in the moment.  The first statement shows that the person stopped and took notice right as it was happening and then lingered.  Maybe even took in a deeper breath and then purposely took in the surroundings, feelings, smells, and emotions so they could be tucked away in their memory for later.

No comments: