Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finding the Missing Link in Time, Moutaineering, Burritos, and Faith

A few things on my mind:

1) WHAT THE HECK!?!  How is it already almost mid-September?  I feel like I am in a race.  I know the  race is a marathon and I should pace myself, but instead I am still running a bit faster than race pace.  Ug.  Not something that makes me happy.  I don't like that my days are slipping away faster than the speed of light.  We don't get these days back, people!  This song playing on the radio all the time, isn't really helping me with the guilt factor either.  I do love it, though (the song, not the time moving at the speed of light thing), and will probably be using in an end of the year project I am hoping to do.

I would say that I think things will slow down here shortly, as I can tell we are getting into a much better routine with school and all, but I think that could be a lie.  Because let's face it, it never slows down.  There's always something when kids are in school.

I don't think I have to remind you how much I love summer, do I?

Well, OK then.

B) We've taken the kids out on two successful outings recently.  Being that they are five and seven you might think that they should have accomplished successful outings years ago.  Have no fears, they have mastered the grocery store, the dentist, even a bikini wax (That's a story for a different time.  A time that doesn't exist in blog world).  No, these were outings that were going to require serious physical activity, which surprisingly, my kids are not that into.  I KNOW!  Who's kids are they?

Recently, we went to cheer my sister on in her first triathlon.  Since it was a very popular event, parking was CRAZY.  So, The Hubs decided he was going to beat the parking issue and find a spot in located on the back side of the event and walk in a different entrance.

Well.

We did find a spot.

However, we ended up having to walk about a mile and a half to get to the finish line of the race.  Obviously, the Hubs and I were going to be fine with that.  The kids?  Notsomuch.  The fact that The Little Man starting whining about all the walking he had done BEFORE WE EVEN LEFT THE PARKING LOT should have been our first clue.

But we forged ahead.

For me to type out the rest of this story is really just a silly waste of time.  I'm sure you all know how the rest of this day went.

So, when The Hubs started getting a hankering for a family hike, I was like "Um, no way.  And please stop trying to give me flash backs to that dreadful triathlon parking experience."  That was all that needed to be said.  He too started having flash backs, and dropped the subject.

Well, this past Labor day, we decided to give the ol' "family hike" idea another shot.  We stayed relatively close to home so that if we needed to save ourselves, home wasn't too far off, and we also would have saved ourselves a ton of driving for nothing.  The good news is:  The kids did FABULOUS!  I was super shocked all day long.  I have never seen/heard The Little Man be so chipper about hiking/walking around.

They were heavily bribed, but who cares?  It was still a wonderful day, and I too enjoy a little ice cream after a hike.

The second outing which involved physical activity was an evening out rock climbing.  Again, we were on shaky grounds here because the amount of effort we were asking the kids to put forth, without putting a bounce house in front of their faces, was big.

Again, I was totally blown away with how hard they worked, how they kept trying when they struggled, their happy can-do attitudes, and also, I'll admit, I was shocked by how well they did.  I mean, I really feel like they could take on Everest in the next year.

*Ahem*

Before I get too full of pride, I should remind myself that neither of my children will ride their bikes.  One child won't even look in the bike's general direction.  Thankfully, there are scooters.

3) evol. = Love for me.  Try some for yourself, and find out why.   I especially dig the bean, rice and cheese burrito. YUM.  Especially good on the days that everyone is in school and I have to try to come up with something for lunch on my own without stealing stuff off of the kid's plates.  Looks like they will have a new fall line up as well...can't wait!


And) I am still amazed at the fact that you don't have to teach boys how to spit or make awesome sound effects.

Finally, here are some recent reads that are totally changing my perspective on God, myself, and life (especially the life I have been given to live):  Crazy Love  by Francis Chan really opened my eyes (again) the the crazy love that God has for me and His children.  It also reminded me of what loving God back should look like in my life, and it gave great examples of people who dedicated their lives to loving God in a "crazy" way.  Warning: Lots of conviction here, be ready to take deep breaths.

Another Francis Chan (because after the first one I needed more) Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit.  Gulp, and double gulp.  Makes me crave the Holy Spirit and His power even more.  If you are ever curious about the Holy Spirit, how He works, and His power, then grab this book FAST!

Lastly, Radical by David Platt

Let's just say, God is working on my heart like crazy now through these three books.  Add to that a summer spent going through the book of Isaiah, and I am praying that, like God promised Israel, He will rebuild me in a way that makes people stop and say, "Only God can do a work like that!"

Oh, there is much to be done.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I wanna hear the bikini wax story. And I love the fact that you alluded to the bikini wax story and God in the same post. Awesome.