Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hot and Cold {Project Two Times Twelve}

Whew! I bet you thought I almost forgot the project I JUST started last month. You know the one, where I wanted to photograph the two little people in my life together at least once a month for a year? The last session reminded me that I started the this project not because I wanted to have 12 sets of studio style/posed pictures (not that there is anything wrong with that), but instead, I wanted to climb out of my comfort zone and really focus on capturing their lives together as siblings in a beautiful way (ie not as just snap shots, but more carefully planned out/purposeful photography). You see, it had gotten pretty easy for me to pose and photograph them, but with that I was missing the stories and their lives. It is also easy for me to just pull out my camera and haphazardly shoot snapshots without any fore thought to the story I was trying to capture. I craved something different...again, outside of my comfort zone. It was time to stretch my creative brain a bit.

Enough of that.

On with the photos.


This week provided ample time (hello Spring Break!) and conditions for some fun photography. I chose our spring storm last week as a day for some photos. First up: The snow.

Here are the two snow bunnies:

Kind of boring, huh?

I do like this one though because, see that snow all over The Girl's jacket? That's from a snowball her brother just belted her with. Funny, but kind of boring.


After that, the kids were getting cold and bored with the snow. We headed in and warmed up. No hot cocoa this time around. I thought it would be more fun to take a hot bath. And it was...


The Little Man sitting under the faucet flowing with warm water:


The Girl slowly soaking it in:


Starting to have some fun:


They both fit, and by the way, they are both in bathing suits (in case you were wondering).




My favorite:


Bubbly Toes:




Wresting or hugging?




Second runner up for favorite:


While I loved all the pictures from the tub, I think that the last one really started to pick up on what I am after...the whole picture. I love the messy counter top, the feeling of peering in on two kids having fun in a sort of "Fly on the wall" kind of way, and my favorite are the socks on the floor in the foreground. It reminds me how excited The Little Man was to get to take a bath in my tub. As they were getting into the tub, we all laughed because he had forgotten to take his socks off. He literally kicked them off as he hoped into the tub. And there they lie.

Perfectly imperfect.

I am finding this is my favorite type of photography, perfect imperfection.

I hope I get to capture much more of this.

P.S. In case you are wondering, I also stretched my creative brain a little on the processing of these pictures. I chose to finish them with a lighter, airy sort of feeling. I thought it was kind of fun and, I don't know, water like.

No comments: