Monday, February 1, 2010

From Cartoons to Reality TV

In order to be fair, here's a little 4-1-1 on The Girl.

First, she has been seven now for exactly 28 days. Do you remember last year when this happened? Do you remember how sad I was that her face would be forever changed because the new teeth growing in would be so much bigger? Do you remember how this sadness drove me to frantically take pictures of my girl even though her teeth were just barely hanging in her head?

Well, since that day, she has lost a total of EIGHT teeth! They, indeed, have grown in bigger, but she is still my baby girl, and the change in her face is not as dramatic as I thought it was going to be.



Either that or I have just gotten used to it.

She can't pick a favorite show right now. She loves them all, but top on the list is Biggest Loser, Survivor, Cake Boss, the Planet Earth series, and How It's Made. There are a few more, but I'll stop there so that I don't embarrass myself by revealing the quantity of reality TV that is watched in my house.

In my defense, can I just say that it is winter? It's not like we are at a time of year when we can enjoy the great outdoors without feeling like we are going to freeze to death. Also, The Girl doesn't get home from school until an hour before it is dark out. That doesn't leave much time to play outside.

Speaking of school, The Girl still loves going to school and being with her friends. This year is proving to be much more difficult. There are some difficult and interesting dynamics happening in the classroom, and we pray for these each night. It's hard as her mother to watch some of this happen, but I know and trust that this will build her up and prepare her for other situations later in life...or the next year...whichever. That's about all I can say without being too specific.

I will tell you very clearly and specifically, The Girl HATES math homework. That's about all I have to say about that. Oh, except because of this, I too HATE math homework. It's not that she can't do it, or that she doesn't understand it. It's just that she doesn't want to do it. Because really? If there is an option of word problems, a subtractions fact sheet, or an episode of the Cake Boss, I can tell you hands down which one comes out on top.

And just to quickly wrap this up:
Her favorite food: Bertolli
Current Sport: Basketball
Favorite Activity: Collecting and caring for bugs
Favorite Toy: Kirsten her American Girl Doll
Room Status: Always a wreck...it's hard to keep things clean when you have so much reality TV to watch...

No comments: