Friday, October 2, 2009

Something Has Happened to Me

I am sitting here on this record setting cold morning enjoying a bowl of oatmeal.

Oatmeal.

I don't like oatmeal.

It's a texture thing.

I have tried several times to like oatmeal because of, you know, the health benefits, but I could not stomach it. I do love me some Cream of Wheat. Oh, you just put some milk, sugar, and cinnamon in it and then dip in a piece of buttered sour dough toast, and it's pure cold morning heaven. I even will eat Cream of Wheat for dinner on a cold night. It's one of those foods that works both ways. However, on the oatmeal front, there was no love whatsoever.

A few weeks ago, I noticed this weird craving I had for it. I was a little taken back by it, and ignored it for a while, thinking I was going nuts. Then I remembered, HELLO! I am nuts. So, with that, I bought some of that instant oatmeal that comes in single serving packs. It was called "Healthy" or "Active" (or something appealing like that) "Lifestyle". However, I learned quickly that it was full of fake sugar. For those that know me, I could get up on a soap box all day about fake sugars. For the sake of this blog, I will just say fake sugars and "healthy" don't go together. I should have done a better job at label reading. Drats. I did however notice that I was only upset with the flavor NOT the texture. It was a breakthrough moment, indeed.

So, in an attempt to correct the situation, I went ahead and bought straight up oatmeal. No packets, no special flavorings, nothing. Just oatmeal. I figured if my craving for oatmeal goes away, and I again decide that it is just not for me, then I can make a bunch of cookies with it and all will be right with the world again.

So now I sit with my bowl of oatmeal, not at all annoyed by the texture, but wondering what I could add to it to help the flavor out just a bit? Today I added walnuts and dried cranberries. Oh, and a bit of sugar...the real kind. I am not opposed to sweet, just make it real.

Suggestions in this matter would be wonderful.

P.S. I don't like raisins.

P.P.S. To add to this new found weirdness, I have also been appreciating the briskness of the weather during my runs in the morning. Do you think I am totally losing it?

3 comments:

Nicole said...

well i am glad you have come to the dark side. i like the straight up, old fashioned oats (no fake sugars, aren't you proud?), too.

and do you know what I love to put in mine? a big ol' glob of peanut butter. Because, YUM.

and on this particular morning, i polished it off with a brownie...(once you have the PB thing going...)

Kelly said...

brown sugar, honey, any flavor fruit jam, frozen blueberries and cream, sliced or mashed bananas, pumpkin butter, pecans... oh now i'm starting to salivate... (we like oatmeal, can you tell?)

Meg said...

Bananas and brown sugar, maple syrup, strawberries and cream...there aren't too many ways I DON'T like oatmeal on a chilly morn (unless it's pre-sweetened and artificially flavored -- yuck)