Monday, October 12, 2009

Impulsive Purchasing Leads to Hours of Entertainment

Since we are about mid-way through October (mercy), I thought it would be a good idea to start working on costume ideas for Halloween this year. My intent was to take a look around and see what was out there. My kids would show interest in about two or fifteen different costumes, and then we would talk about which ones they liked the best for a day or two so we would have the most favorite costume picked out by the time Halloween got here.

Then I got to Super T.

After walking up and down the aisles a few times looking at the options, listening to both kids ooo and awe over every single costume on the shelf, looking through, no fighting through each rack trying to find the right size only to find that most of the costumes are missing some of their parts and pieces. Then finding something that was the right size, had all it's parts, WAS APPROPRIATE for a child (HELLO costume makers! CHILDREN are wearing these) only to see it's price tag, and nearly choke, I decided this would be it. We were picking out our costumes right then and there and not returning.

I think the kids really appreciated this impulsiveness as well.

So, this year I will be accompanied by Black Spider-Man (not the same as regular Spider-Man) and Cleopatra as I walk up and down our neighborhood streets in search of treats. Here's some funny things about these costumes:

1. Cleopatra? Enough said. Seriously, she had so many choices to pick from. Why Cleopatra? The Girl has been known to pick some pretty odd costumes in the past, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I'm just thankful she didn't choose that weird dead cheerleader costume I saw.

2. The one requirement for The Little Man this year was that the mask he had actually covered his whole head. He didn't want it to just be a mask on the front being held on by a piece of elastic around the back. So whenever I asked him what he wanted to be, he would say his favorite character for the day, but the mask "would have the back on it". For example, "I want to be Darth Vader with the back on it." It took me a while to figure out what in the world he was even talking about, but then we went to Super T looking for a birthday present one day. There was this helmet for a Storm Trooper there, and he kept going on and on about how the Storm Trooper mask had the back on it. Thus, I finally figured out what he was talking about.

SO all that to say, if you ask him what he is going to be for Halloween, he will tell you, "A Black Spider-Man with the back on it", and THAT is what he is talking about.

Also, if he tries on his mask for you, PLEASE notice that it covers the back of his head. It will make him so happy.

He can hardly wait to, and these are his words not mine, "Totally FREAK everyone out by having the back on my head with my costume".

I have no idea.

3. The Girl is thrilled to no end that her Cleopatra costume is a little bit big for her which means that the dress is very flow-y. I have watched her walk down the stairs a few times now so that she can have me see how it just "Floats down the stairs".

Also, she wanted me to know that if she lived during the times of Felicity (An American Girl character which she is TOTALLY into right now), her costume would be, "Totally appropriate because it is longer than three inches above my ankles."

Sweet.

So, for the next few weeks I will be quite busy watching my Cleopatra float all over our home in her "Appropriate dress" while listening to Black Spider-Man with the back on FREAK everyone out while he jumps, spins, and runs all over the house asking people "Do you need help? I'm here to help!"

Good times. Good times.

Yes, I will get a photo shoot done with kids in costumes like years past...I'm still working on the details.

No comments: