Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More School Fun

The day of the "Big Field Trip" was yesterday. I am happy to say, I was on time, had my memory card, and was only interested in spending the day with my Girl instead of trying to impress the teacher. I have to say it was wonderful. The Girl was still unsure of what it would be like to have her Ol' Ma there with her while she was trying to maintain her "Cool" first grade status, but in the end, I think she was happy I was there too.

We went to a local farm where they allowed the kids (and the chaperons) to hop onto a hayride type thing. They then drove us around to a bunch of different fields with different types of veggies, and we were free to fill up huge bags with whatever we could get...and could carry away.

We brought home potatoes, carrots, pumpkins, corn, and my favorite: PEPPERS! When I saw that we were getting dropped off at pepper fields, I thought I was going to heaven. OK, maybe not heaven, but a place where you can get all kinds of spicy, yummy, perfect for stews, chile's and soups, types of peppers for FREE. I made sure The Girl knew we were on a mission.

Last night, I spent hours just cutting, cleaning, bagging, and freezing all those beautiful peppers. I am hoping that those beauties will bring a little heat this winter. I really enjoyed not only the time with The Girl, but also the farm. I can hardly wait to go back again as a family.

Here's The Girl collecting potatoes:


Showing off a monster carrot:


Enjoying a little hayride:


Next up: The Little Man. He had a very special day today as well. Today was "Doughnuts with Dad". This is a special time for kids to bring their daddies to school and show them off.

And enjoy a doughnut.

It is really hard to tell which The Little Man enjoys more: His daddy at school with him or eating a doughnut. Unfortunately for his daddy, the margin is EXTREMELY slim.

And we're not sure who wins.

Here they are in all their doughnut eating glory:


When I picked up The Little Man from school this afternoon, I asked how much he loved having doughnuts with daddy, and if he went hog wild on a doughnut. He said, "I liked having daddy there, but he wouldn't let me eat my whole doughnut."

I suggested that maybe daddy didn't want him to get too hyper from all the sugar, and then be at school with bad behavior. He confidently answered, "I don't go crazy on sugar. I am just normal when I eat a lot of sugar."

Good to know.

No comments: