Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Taking the "Fun" Right Out of Fundraising

I can't believe how fast this past week went. When the kids are in school, time goes way too fast. The good news is: The Girl really likes her teacher, she has made new friends, and loves getting to eat lunch at school. She also loves gym class and recess. So despite all my nervousness and worry, she did just great her first week away from The Little Man and I.

Can I tell you what I really despise about back to school? I mean besides homework, early mornings, school drama, the carpool lane, and the fact that my baby is away from me for SEVEN hours a day. I can't stand all the school fundraisers.

Seriously.

It's totally obnoxious.

I would much rather know how much money the school needs, divide that by the number of students attending, and then write a check. Instead, I will be buying wrapping paper, cookie dough (that The Girl cannot even eat because of her peanut allergy), coupon books, plates and bowls, and a myriad of other junk that, really? I don't want or need. Then to make matters worse, we have to convince our family members and friends that they want it too. Forget the neighbors. Their kids are selling the same things. Can't take the sheet into the office and sell stuff to co-workers, The Hubs offices out of the home. Our poor grandparents. They have to decide who all they will buy from, or sometimes they buy a little from each grandchild.

To top it all off, they (the school people) get the kids all excited about selling stuff by tempting them with all the wonderful prizes they can win if they just sell "x" amount of junk. The Girl thinks she is totally on her way to being the recipient of a limo ride for her and 25 of her friends, a money safe, stickers, and a stuff animal. I am trying to let her down gently.

Anyone want some wrapping paper or cookie dough?

Don't worry if you miss this bus, there will be another right around the corner. The Little Man will be hitting you up as soon as he starts school next week.

No comments: