Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Thought Kindergarten Was Hard

I was packing up The Girl's backpack for the first day of school TOMORROW. Trust me, it was all I could do not to bawl my eyes out in front of the fam. Do you realize that in first grade they are away from you for SEVEN HOURS! S-E-V-E-N. Seven. That is more time than she has to spend with me. Well, at least awake, that is.

This woman, who's her teacher, that I've only met one time, gets her more than I, the one who gave birth to her. The one who knows all of her silly little quirks. The one that understands how sensitive she is about not only her feelings, but other people's feelings. I know the difference between her laugh-just-to-laugh laugh and her full on giggle because it's so funny she can't contain herself. I'm the one who knows that she gets nervous about the small details in new situations. It's me that understands that she just wants her teacher to not only like her, but love her. It's me. And now I have to trust that her new teacher will take just as good of care of her as I would. For seven hours of the day.

As I finished packing the last of the notebook paper and folders, I saw something sticking out of the back pocket. I found this note.


It totally pushed me over the edge.

I miss you like crazy already, Baby Girl...

No comments: