Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Week in Review

It's been a busy week. I told you it was just going to be this way. I've come to enjoy the pace. Here's a small catch up:

1. We've been to the pool three times this week. Besides being able to check that off the list for the week, I've come to realize that these visits to the pool are essential to me and my mood. With the new faster pace that this summer is going to be about, I need to be at the pool in order to feel like even though I am going non-stop, I am not missing summer. Does it add just one more thing to my already bulging to-do list? Yes. Does this mean I have a bit more laundry each week with all the towels and swimsuits? Yes. Does my back feel like it is going to break at any given moment from lugging around our HUMONGOUS pool bag full of all sorts of toys, towels, sunscreens, snacks, and drinks? Yes. Do I care? No. The pool is that necessary to my well being. I will make the sacrifices needed. End of story.

2. Along with number one, The Little Man is swimming like a little fish. A fish with water wings, but a fish nonetheless. This is such a far cry from where we were last summer, heck where we were even mere months ago, and I am just happy. He has had such a fear of water that I thought we were going to be stuck at the baby pool for years to come. Instead, we are now at the big kids pool.

With water wings.

Hopefully, he'll grow out of them and won't demand a larger size.

3. We are about to depart for a small rendezvous with some family. Just a short time to get away and have some fun. In preparation, we went to the library and loaded up on some books and movies (thank you, Lord, for portable DVD players). We also signed up for the summer reading program, which rewards readers for reading for 12 hours with a stuffed moose. This is right up The Girl's alley. Also, she was excited to get something new to read. So, all that to say, we have to go back to the library before we leave because she has read through all but one book that I got for her. Yes, some of these books were picture books, but I also got her a Nancy Drew mystery as well as an American Girl book. Who knew you could read through an entire mystery in one afternoon when you are only six?

4. Our poor garden. I don't know if we will have much of a harvest this year. The hail, oh the hail. It has been a fierce severe weather season here. I replanted the cucumbers because I just didn't think they were going to make it through the last hailstorm. Then, shortly after replanting, we had another hail storm with close to golf ball size hail stones. I am hoping when these new seeds actually break through the ground, the severe weather will be done for awhile. The good news (if there could be any) through all this is that we may get a new roof, which we are desperate for. We find out tomorrow.

5. I am redecorating the bedrooms this summer. It has been fun. I am trying VERY hard to be resourceful with what we already have, and just use it in new ways. Spray paint has become a new best friend as well as garage sales. Maybe I'll post pictures. In my mind, the end result will be nothing short of rooms that are beautiful enough to be photographed and published in Decor magazine, but the reality is that, well, I am doing all of this, and did I mention I am using spray paint? We'll see.

I think that catches us all up. I get to spend the day packing, doing laundry, and now, going to the library.

No comments: