Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Editor In Chief

My kids still take a quiet time everyday. I don't think they realize that there is an option. Not that I would give them that option freely, but what I am trying to say is that I don't think they even know that other kids their age probably don't do the same.

I so need quiet time. I need that time to recharge, get stuff done, and mentally prepare myself for the rest of the day. The kids need that time to unwind, unplug, and be by themselves. In summary: Quiet time works well for our family.

The Girl likes to spend her time reading, writing, and playing with stuffed animals. Yesterday, she came down from quiet time with a piece of paper in her hands folded so many times times that it was about the size of a quarter. She immediately asked for an envelope. I asked why she would need an envelope and she responded that she, "Needed to send this very important letter", and she shoved out her hand that was grasping tight to the very small folded piece of paper.

Seeing that it was for this very tiny piece of paper, I had doubts that we would actually be sending this "letter". I told her instead of using a real envelope, that she could make one instead with tape and notebook paper. That's when I casually asked, "Who's the letter for anyways?"

D: The book company.
me: Huh?
D: The book company. You know, the people that made some of my books.
me: Hmmm, why would you want to write a letter to them?
D: Well, when I was reading my princess book, I noticed a misspelled word.
me: Really? What word did they misspell?
D: Well, instead of saying princess's with an apostrophe "s" they just spelled princess and added an "es" to the end.
me: Well was there more than one princess or were they talking about something that belonged to the princess? If something belongs to the princess it is princess's with an apostrophe "s". If there is more than one princess in the story it is princesses with an "es".
D: Oh. Well, let me think about it before you mail off that letter.

You know I was DYING to open that letter up and read for myself what The Girl had to say about their "misspelling". I waited though because I didn't want her to know that I was totally going to invade her privacy like that.

You've gotta be stealthy in these types of situations.

When The Girl went outside to play, I went for the letter, but to my surprise, it was gone. I asked The Hubs if he saw a homemade envelope lying around and accidentally threw it out, but he had no clue what I was talking about. In my panicked state of knowing that I could have possibly lost a true gem from The Girl, I went dumpster diving.

Oh, yes. Yes, I did.

Thankfully, it was near the top.

Apparently, after much consideration, she must have decided that they did, in fact, use the correct spelling of "princesses". I did read through that little gem of a letter, though. Yes, I will share it with you now.

Dear Book People,

I saw a miss spelled whrd (word) on your book Stories of Princes and Princesses. I thinc (think) you goofed becuse (because) princess's is spelled like this and not like this princesses. And you now (know) that.

The Girl (except she used her real name)
Age 6

Please send me a new book back.
(address).


Nice.

I like how at the end, she gave a little tongue lashing, but still had enough guts to ask for a new book.

And also how she is totally guilty of misspellings herself, and doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

Today, she came down from nap with another letter. This one was to Beverly Cleary. The Girl is currently reading the Ramona series during her quiet time. The Girl doesn't appreciate the slang that Ramona uses. She feels that when she says things like "Gonna" and "Shoulda" that it sets a bad example for those that are learning to spell and speak correctly.

I think she might be referring to me.

No comments: