Monday, September 19, 2011

The First Day of School and Nine Other Things

Do you see what happens when I blog (almost) four days in a row?  I was exhausted.  Not really.  But that's the excuse I'm going with.  I have a lot to catch up with, so the easiest way for me is a list.

1)  First up, the kids started school.  About a month ago.  The feelings of guilt that I have had about not blogging about their first day yet have plagued me.  For a while I think that I actually convinced myself that I had actually blogged about that day.   You would think that since it was The Little Man's first day of Kindergarten, that I would have gone on and on about it, but since it went off so smoothly, I guess I didn't feel too much pressure (obviously).  I did take pictures, and have been keeping a mental note of all things note worthy since the first day.

Here they are:























Don't even get me started on how grown up The Girl looks, and my sweet Little Man?  Poor dude had a horrible cold for his first day.  He had such a good attitude though and was super excited to start at his new school as a Kindergartner.   Until we got in the car.  Then there were some tears again.  I kept it together though, for the both of us.

When he came home he was so happy, and told me all about how he didn't even get lost once and he was able to find his carpool line really easily.  I guess that was what all the tears were about in the car as well as the night before.  Poor guy was scared silly that he was going to get lost, and that that car ride to school was the last time he was going to see his family.  Once he figured out that he wasn't going to get lost, he was all good.  He was even comfortable enough to start complaining about stuff again, you know, like homework and the uniform.  (Side note: Never once has The Girl complained about her uniform, but The Little Man?  he complained five times in the first eight days of school.  I thought for sure since he was a boy he wouldn't care.  I thought wrong.)

The Girl started her 3rd grade year without a single bump.  It was smooth sailing for the four year veteran of the school.  She was excited to see her friends, to start a new year of learning, and to meet her new teacher.  For the first time in her lengthy academic career, she's been assigned a male teacher.  I thought for sure it would freak her out, but she was really excited about it.  Turns out, many of her friends were also assigned to the same class, making starting the new year even more exciting.  Speaking of exciting, she was elated to find out that they now have a drama club for third through fourth grade.  You used to have to be in fifth grade before you could try out for the school's Dinner Theater group.  She's been anxiously awaiting the day when she could be apart of this group.  Come to find out, her wait is over (kind of).  She is currently part of the drama club and will be trying out for Annie Jr. in the next few days.  She is very excited and really loves drama so far.  I love that she loves it.

2) Speaking of activities, we are in full swing around here.  We had a small hiatus after school started, but beginning last week that hiatus came to an end.  We are now juggling school and homework with swimming, drama, and BSF.  It actually hasn't been too bad.  I realize it's only been a week, though.

I was killing myself trying to make the activity count equal between the kids.  The Girl is participating in both drama and swimming, but The Little Man just has swimming.  I thought for sure that I should find him something else to do because he would notice right away that he's only doing one thing while sister is doing two.  I looked everywhere for something that was both affordable and worked in our schedule.  Finally, I had an "ah-ha moment" and realized that not everything needs to be "Even Steven".  Turns out, The Little Man could care less that he doesn't have a second activity.  Besides not caring, I don't even think he's noticed.  Maybe Kindergarten and swimming are enough for him right now.

3)  Just when we were falling in love with our dog again (you know, after years of barely noticing her due to having little babies that needed tons of attention and care), we found out that she has a tumor on her leg.  Of course, I just assumed that it was no big deal and didn't even think twice about asking The Girl to accompany me to the vet's visit.

Great job, Mom.

So, my sweet tender-hearted girl was sitting there hugging on our dog as the vet told us that he thought it could be serious and we should have it looked at.  On the way home she asked me if I thought the dog had cancer.

Dang it.

I'm not ready to explain this to the kids.  My own heart hurts as well.  I can't imagine what theirs will feel like.

She goes in on Friday to have it removed and biopsied.  I'm praying that it's benign, and I don't have to explain anything.  On the good side of this, while she's out getting the tumor removed they're also going to brush her teeth.  Fresh breath for the pooch is always a plus.

4) The Little Man just learned how to jump rope.  I don't know what is cuter to me: his crazy body movements or his giant grin as he makes it over the rope one more time without tripping up.

5) In other Little Man Accomplishments, he officially can run the TV, Blue Ray player, DVR, and OnDemand like no one's business, proving that remote control ability is innate in the male species.

While trying to get ready for the upcoming Biggest Loser season, I found that my DVR was almost completely full.  Which would have been totally awesome if I wanted to catch up on Phineas and Ferb, Tom and Jerry, Star Wars the Clone Wars, and Scooby Doo.   When I asked him about it, he just said he needed to make sure he wasn't missing any of his favorite shows while he was in school.

*Ahem*

6) The kids are in L-O-V-E with Tom and Jerry.  And I am in L-O-V-E with the fact that they love it.  I have been known, on occasion, to kick off the old flip flops and settle in for an episode or two myself.  I love it when an episode comes on that I can remember from my own childhood.  I also love that I don't have to worry one single bit that there are any distasteful words or inappropriate body part/function jokes, you know, since no one talks at all.  No, when I hear the full on belly laughs coming from the living room, I can rest assured no one has made a fart/butt joke, but instead that Tom probably just got annihilated by Jerry.  So much better.

7) I recently became a subscriber to Door-to-Door Organics, and I love it.  I had heard about this company a few years ago when my sister-in-law tried to convince me it was the best thing since sliced bread.  I wasn't sold.  I mean, I like to be able to pick out my own produce, you know?  What if I got all sorts of nasty bruised apples?  And there's nothing worse than getting over ripened fruit.  I like my produce the way I like it, and that means I need to pick it out.

Well, I got a Groupon that made trying Door-to-Door ridiculously cheap, so I grabbed it and tried them out.  I am a little embarrassed at how giddy I was, and the amount of happiness I felt when that first box arrived.  I brought it inside and opened it.  Awaiting me was all sorts of delicious and beautiful organic fruit and veggies.  It was like Christmas.   It was food that I didn't have to shop for.  Since I don't get milk from the milk man, this whole "food to your door business" is new to me, and now I love it, and look forward to Thursday afternoons like they are some sort of food holiday. 

8) In other food related news, our garden is on it's way out.  I can't say that we had a very stellar year, either.  I don't think I can do another garden for a while.  It's fun,  the kids really do love it, and, heck, I love growing our own food and feeling like we are eating for free, but it's also a lot of work.  I feel like there should be an equal proportion to the amount of work put in to the amount of food brought out.  Granted, it wasn't quite as horrible as last years crop, but it certainly wasn't great either.  In fact, I'll be surprised if I get a single edible squash.  Also, why in the world did I NOT plant zucchini?  Seriously?  All I want are some delicious zucchini and chocolate chip muffins, some zucchini bread, or Parmesan zucchini sticks.  But, oh no, I had to plant the squash this year.   I think I was all, "Variety is the spice of life!"

No, actually a good zucchini muffin is the spice of life.

Lesson learned.

If we have a garden next year, it will be only because I convinced The Hubs to install an automatic drip system.

9) Speaking of baked goods, this whole summer the kids and I experimented with all sorts of new dessert recipes.  It was so fun, and so good.  Now that schools back in session, I've slowed down quite a bit.  We got to try all sorts of goodness, and I think our favorite was the Almost Too Much Chocolate Chocolate Cake with Satiny Chocolate Glaze.  We made it for The Hubs' birthday.  The kids have both requested it for their birthday's now as well, and I'm trying to find any occasion I can make that puppy for.  It was so good, but so bad.  The only bad part about our fun times baking, is that I am now paying the piper, and am having to count every last calorie that goes into my mouth.  Thank goodness there's an app for that.  It's ugly.  And hard.  But I'd probably do it again.

10) You may be wondering (or not) where I was getting all of my delicious recipes from.  Well, have you heard of Pintrest?  Um, you should check it out.  But be careful, you will be addicted.  I love it way more than Facebook.  Why?  Because I would rather find an amazing recipe/craft/photography idea/decor idea/cute product/fashion/must have hair cut any day over reading strange status updates from people I barely remember and/or haven't spoken to in over a decade.  Don't get me wrong, I love keeping in touch with people, but knowing all the details of someone's potty training accomplishments (and/or not), leaves me feeling like I could be spending my day doing something else.

Like finding the best desserts I have ever made.

Or pinning up ideas for the office that I may or may not ever re-decorate.

Hey, it's always good to have a plan...even if you never use it.

No comments: