Monday, September 26, 2011

Do You Hear That?

I know that some of you that read this blog live very far away from us.  Alas, I still think if you stop what you are doing right now, and concentrate really hard on listening, you will hear a faint far off noise.  It will kind of sound like a weird sucking noise.  You know, the kind of sucking that happens as a drain gets close to emptying the liquid contents of whatever it's attached to.

Do you hear it?

That is our bank account, people.

The last few days have been expensive.  First, the dog.  She had her surgery on Friday.  Poor girl was terrified when we dropped her off at the vet in the morning.  I couldn't help that she thought she must have done something in the night to suddenly make her people hate her.  First, there was no night time snack.  Second, when she got up to get a drink, there was none available.  Then, no breakfast, and last, when she tried to sneak an apple from the trees in the back yard, BUSTED.  As I dropped her off for her surgery, I felt horrible that we not only had to with hold all foods and liquids for 12 hours previous to her surgery, but then I had no way to explain why I was going to abandon leave her at the vet where she would be put into a deep sleep and then wake up completely groggy and discombobulated and at the same time have horrible pain in both her eye and leg. Don't forget, the teeth!  Somehow she got fresh breath and lost those pesky teeth that were not only slowing down her meal times but also made keeping fresh breath impossible.  I just wanted to sit her down and somehow explain to her that we loved her and we were helping her.

I am certain that she did not get the message.

She spent a few days totally ticked at us.

Or ticked at the cone they put on her head.

Or both.  It's hard to tell.  But she was ticked.

I was ticked too.  You should have seen the vet bill!  Good grief!  Next time those vet people give me a hard time about not bringing her in more often, I now know how I will answer back.

It won't be very nice.

And it will involve how much they charge people who are vulnerable.  People who are put in between a rock and a hard place because they love their pets and feel like total schmucks if they don't take care of them the way they are told to take care of them by the vet.  However, the cost?  I think I do not speak alone when I say that vet bills can give a perfectly healthy person a heart attack.

Then today, I was told she needed to come in and have a post-op check.   Sounds pretty normal.  I mean, I've never had surgery myself, but I have heard how important it is for humans to have post-op checks.  It's probably a good thing to make sure all is going well and there isn't some sort of complication or infection setting in.  Guess what?  That will be an additional charge.  Oh, yes.  It sure makes it difficult for responsible pet owners to want to do the right thing by their pets.  I can't tell you how badly I want to cancel that appointment.  I know that if I do, though, something will happen, and I'll never let myself off the hook.  The good news?  It's free for us to have the stitches removed.

Gee, thanks.

Later today, after the kids had come home from school, The Little Man was watching TV.  All of a sudden, he's all, "Oh WOW!"  Mommy, my tooth just fell out!"  I was a little shocked considering, the tooth wasn't really loose.  He had complained that it was hurting him the last few days, but as I looked at it and saw nothing that would suggest a problem, I just told him not to worry about it and to eat on the other side of his mouth.  I did notice that the front tooth that was next  to it (and that was attempting to grow in)was awfully large for the space that it was given. 

Well, sure enough.  That front tooth?  It wanted to move in, and it made room for itself.






















That space you see there, it's supposed to be big enough for TWO adult teeth.  Can you see how the gum is actually coming down in the shape of the new tooth?  So, then you can see how much space the tooth next to it (the one that just fell out) will have.

Houston, we have a problem.

It looks like we will have a lot of time (and money spent) in the orthodontist office.

The Girl, in an attempt to tease him, was telling him all about his future in braces.

d: You're going to have to wear braces.  You're going to have to wear braces!
p: What?  (and not a "what" like I didn't hear you, but more like a "What?  Are you talkin' to me?  Did you just try to tease me?" type tone)
d: HA! You're going to need braces!
p: What?  You've never heard of Invisalign?  DUH!  I'll get Invisalign and it won't be a problem.  I'll take them out whenever I want to!
d:  (Dumbfounded and shocked.  No response)
me: (Dumbfounded and shocked.  Laughing and refraining myself from giving The Little Man a high five. Well played, Little Man, well played.)

Invisalign, braces, whatever.

Do you hear that sucking noise?

Yea, me too.

*sigh*

No comments: