Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

This is the last week of school for The Girl.  I can't believe it's already here!

I can barely stand myself.

We've already done the last field trip, the last day to wear uniforms (the last week of school is always spirit week), the last day of homework, and today is Field Day. 

This year, we decided to opt out of Field Day.  Had you told my nine year old self, all those years ago, that one day I would opt out of field day, there is no way I would have believed you.  In fact, I would have probably cried myself to sleep that night.  Better yet, I would have sworn up and down that I would never ever become old and boring. 

Never. 

Ever.

*ahem*

So, we decided to skip field day this year.  Truth be told, I was hoping I could convince The Girl to skip Field Day, but totally expected that she would completely freak out at the notion and act like, well, like my nine year old self.  However, as I gently brought  up Field Day the other day, she quickly asked, "Mom, do I have to go to Field Day?  I don't want to go and spend a day outside in the cold, gloomy, rainy weather playing games I can play any day.  I'd rather stay at home in my jammies."

That last statement right there, the "I'd rather stay at home in my jammies"comment, was when I knew I had accomplished one of my most important parenting jobs. 

My kids love jammy days. 

My job is done.

Seriously though, there was nothing enticing about Field Day for me today.  Field Day today just isn't the same Field Day of yesteryear.  Tag, bounce houses, face painting would have all been laughed at and not acceptable in my younger days. Those where things we did on summer break.  OK, not bounce houses because they weren't invented yet, and frankly, if one were to show up when I was nine I would have flipped. My. Lid.  The end.  OK, OK, even as an adult, I find myself lured by the bounce house.  They are fun. 

I digress.

The point is, there are no competitions, no relay races (with winners at least), no tug of war against classes, no 50 yard dashes or hula hoop contests.  Field Day these days is mostly like a carnival.  Don't get me wrong, carnivals can be fun.  However, on a rainy, gloomy, cool day?  Notsomuch.  I'll catch the next one on a warmer day.

So here we sit, relishing in our first day of "Playing Hooky" ever, on this, the last week of school. 

Feels pretty amazing.

Way better than winning the 50 yard dash.

If they had one.

No comments: