Sunday, February 20, 2011

Truth

 9 "Remember the things I have done in the past.
      For I alone am God!
      I am God, and there is none like me.
 10 Only I can tell you the future
      before it even happens.
   Everything I plan will come to pass,
      for I do whatever I wish."
-Isaiah 46:9-10 NLT

There are many reasons why I chose these verses as my memory verses for the next few weeks.  We all have issues, struggles,  and/or times of hardship.  While I may choose to keep many things private, for all kinds of reasons, I am not immune to these valleys in life.  Times when I just want to know when it all will come to an end.  Times when I feel all alone.  Times when I doubt.  But in these times these verses pull me back to truth.

The truth is I can and should think about all the things God has done for me in the past.  And if I have forgotten, He is faithful to remind me.  When I think upon His faithfulness, goodness, love, sovereignty, mercy, and grace I can be reminded that He has always held me close, never let me go, and always has my good in mind.  So in times of doubt, the first thing these verses remind me is to do is "Remember".

Next, is a reminder of who I am putting my trust in.  The one and only God.  There is none like him!  He is all powerful, all knowing, mighty, loving, and sovereign, among many other things.

Lastly, in times of uncertainty, I usually find myself desperate to know what is going to happen.  The last verses remind me that I need not look any further than God.  He is the ONLY one who knows what will happen before I do.  Despite my feelings of things spiraling out of control, He is totally in control.  All of the time.  Nothing happens that is a surprise to Him, and nothing happens without Him allowing it to happen.  I may not understand why things happen or how they will turn out, but I do have these promises:
11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.""-Jeremiah 29:11

And:
 28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28

And:
31 "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" -Romans 8:31-32

Among many others.

My other memory verses have also been so crucial to my heart this year.  I am so thankful that God's word is being etched in my heart.  Because, honestly? it's scary how easy I can believe in a lie.  However, week by week, it is getting easier and easier to combat them.

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." -Ephesians 6:13-17

2 comments:

Jude said...

I needed this, thank you.

Kim's Creations said...

Mandie, I love your blog by the way! It's amazing that no matter what, God gives you the perfect verse to get you through tough times or even times to let you know that He is the only one to get you through life.