Saturday, February 19, 2011

Eclectic is a Good Word for It

As we were checking out from the library:
d: Mom, just don't be surprised if I start speaking German, Yiddish, and Mandarin Chinese.
me: WHAT?
d: Well, don't be too surprised.  (She then flashed me books on speaking German, Yiddish, and Mandarin Chinese.)
me: Well.  I guess I have no reason to be surprised, do I?
d: Nope.

My Girl has been know to love language since she emerged from the womb.  Seriously, this child has loved being read to since she was way too young to even understand what a book was, has been throwing together complex sentences since her second year,  has been reading since age four, and currently uses words that even I sometimes have to think about.  Now I am not trying to brag on her or be boastful, but it is who she is.  It's always been this way.

She is a veracious reader, and will read anything she can get her hands on.  If there isn't anything new, well then, she'll read it again.  And again.  She has read Charlotte's Web four times.

I am so thankful for our local library.  I quickly learned that I (we) needed that library.  I do buy her books, and sometimes she receives them as gifts, but they are quickly read and set aside.  It feels so much better to me to be able to take books home for free, let her burn through them at the speed of light, and then turn them in at the end of three week without them cluttering up the house.  So about every three weeks we hit up the library, and leave with no less than  35 books between the two kids.

I found myself cracking up, not only at The Girl's choice in language interest this week, but the diversity of what was in her bag.

Here's a sample of what she got:
-All three of the language books that were previously mentioned
-Some Tiara Club books
-The rest of the Clementine series (she got the first one last trip and loved it so much she can't wait to finish the rest of them this next few weeks)
- Some classics, The BFG, The Chocolate Touch,  and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing,
-One book each on taking care of: Guinea Pigs, Dachshunds, Pomeranians, and Ferrets (no we are not getting any new pets).
-Number the Stars
-A Dog's Life
-Some books from the Animal Ark series

So we have a little princess/fairy action, some funny/non-serious fiction, some classics, historical fiction, stories about animals, non-fiction "how-to" guides, and some language books.

The only thing in common between all of them: They are books.  She can read them.  She is hoping to get lost in them or learn from them or both.

And as I type right, now, she is reading over my shoulder.

And to be honest, I won't be too surprised if she starts using German, Yiddish, or Mandarin Chinese.

No comments: