Monday, February 14, 2011

Humble? Maybe Not.

Both kids are besides themselves with Valentine's Day today.  I cannot get over how amped up they are over this holiday that really shouldn't mean too much to them until maybe they are older.  At least that's what my adult brain thinks, but their minds work much differently than mine.  They are focused on C-A-N-D-Y.  And lots of it.

The funny thing is, is that they do recognize the other portion of this holiday.  I honestly can say I don't think I really understood Valentine's Day until I was around middle-school-ish age.  Sweetly enough, The Little Man made me his Valentine.  He has been storing up drawings, letters, and special works of his for a couple of weeks now in anticipation of giving them to me.  Today.  On Valentine's.  How cute is that?  He also told me several times today, "Happy Valentine's Day to you, Momma!"  followed by lots of hugs. 

The Girl, however, focused her attention to boys her own age.  We shouldn't be too surprised by this.  She has always been one to notice the boys.  This time she seemed pretty focused on their attention towards her. 

d: Mom, I can totally tell that this boy has a crush on me.
me: Really?!? How can you tell?
d: Well, somebody told me he does and I can just tell.
me: Oh, they did.  How can you tell?
d: Well, every time I am by him, his eyes get all big, and I can tell he is just noticing me.
me: (Not doing a very good job of containing my laughter, but she totally though I was laughing with her not at her so it was cool...plus, I totally was *ahem*) WHAT?!
d: (Laughing along with me) I know, right?  It's true, though!  I even went to ask him if he had a crush on me.
me: YOU DID!
d: Yes!  And when I walked over there his eyes got all big again.  Those are his "I love you" eyes.
me: His what?
d: You know the eyes that are all big and just say, "I love you."
me: Wow.  I had no idea.  Did he tell you he had a crush on you?
d: No.  He denied it.  But I could tell that's what his eyes were saying.

I am trying to remember if The Hubs has ever flashed me some "I love you" eyes.

1 comment:

~she~ said...

So cute! I am totally not ready for my kids to have crushes yet! But it's cute when yours do! :)