Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Is it Christmas Break Yet?

It would seem as though I don't blog that often unless I am challenging myself to be here each day with something I am thankful for.

Hmmm.

Well.

OK.

I guess I'll have to figure out if I am going to find  a way to deal with that or move on. 

I am still undecided.

Here are a few things that are on the top of my mind:

1.  I am shocked at the lack of retailers who do not have cute Christmas outfits for children.  I guess if you are over the age of five, and under the age of being invited to a swanky Christmas/New Years party, you will not be dressing up this year.  When I asked a store clerk to guide me in the direction of their "dressier" items, he told me they don't sell those types of clothes in the winter.

What?

I tried to explain that I was hoping to find something nice for Christmas services or Christmas pictures.

He looked at me like I was speaking a different language.

OK.  So, clearly this particular establishment was choosing to focus a little more on casual type clothing.  So instead of trying to get Christmas attire here, I thought I would just settle for picking up some Christmas jammies.  We (including myself) love getting Christmas jammies every year.   Guess what?  If you are a boy and where larger than a 5T, well then, you must not like to wear Christmas jammies.   I guess I should rephrase that.  If you think that skulls with Santa hats on or snowboarders are "Christmas-y" well, you are in luck.  (When I asked how snowboarders are considered Christmas jammies the clerk told me because they are in the snow.  Oh.  It's crystal clear now.) I searched high and low.  I did hear through the grapevine that Super T had some on Black Friday, but obviously that wasn't going to be of much help to me now.  So,  poor Little Man is sporting some jammies that have trucks on them.  In the back of the truck is an Evergreen tree with some snow on it.  That's the closest I could get.    Maybe if you are big enough to wear sizes larger than the toddler section, and you are a boy, then it's totally dorky to wear Christmas jammies? 

So we are all dorks.

It wouldn't be the first time.

2.  These comments from The Little Man made me laugh:

The Little Man was getting ready to go play outside since it had been so beautiful outside.
p: Mommy?  Can I go outside to play?
me: Sure!  That sounds like a great idea
p: OK, I'm going to get my shoes on.
In the meantime, our dog Grace had recognized the word "Outside" and was quite excited at the thought of going outside to play, as was demonstrated by her ferociously wagging tail.   Soon enough she whacked The Little Man right in his...well...here's what he said:
p: (Bending down and looking Grace right in the eye) GRACIE!  Calm down, girl!  Stop whacking me in the privates!

I probably shouldn't have, but I did laugh out loud. 

Later that same day The Little Man and I were in a tense game of Memory.  I had already gotten a few matches myself, and was totally holding my own, I might add, but then The Little Man got on a hot streak. 
p: (Flips over a match) WOW!  That's cool!
me: Good job.  Go again.
p: (Flips over another match) Wow!  That's pretty crazy! (Totally trying to hide his excitement). 
me: Go again, Bud!
p: (Misses the next match) Oh well.  You're turn.
me: (Misses a match) Oh, shoot.
p:  That's OK.  That was really well played.

Oh, my sweet encourager.  His comfort and good sportsmanship helped me to make it through the game without loosing hope.  (Plus, I totally won).

3.  Lastly, The Girl.  Each year her school sells candy canes before Christmas break.  You can get a candy cane delivered to a friend with a message for fifty cents.  The Girl really likes to do this each year and sends all her BFF's little Christmas messages.  This year as she was filling out her order form (with her yearbook out, no less)  she asked me what the Candy Cane Budget was this year. 

I do appreciate a girl who knows and appreciates limits.

I told her, "Well it's whatever you decide it to be."  (I was under the impression that she understood that she was paying for these gifts.)

She went on her merry way filling out her order form.  I was starting to get a little nervous when I looked over her shoulder and saw quite a few names written down.

me:  So, do you know how to add up the total?
d: Yes! 
me: Well, how much are you up to now?
d: I haven't stopped to count yet.
me: Well, just remember every two people you have written down is one dollar out of your piggy bank.
d: WHAT?!?  I have to pay for these?
me: Yes.  These are your gifts.  If they are coming from you, they should be bought by you.
d: Mom!  You know that I am trying to save up my money until I get $100.  You are totally cutting into that!

With a little more discussion about gift giving and a  budget, she was able to whittle her list down to four people.

4.  As we have been blessed to watch some Christmas programs put on by the kids' schools this week (pictures and more on that to follow), it has become quite clear how much taller The Little Man is than most of his friends.  At his school performance, he was the 2nd tallest on the stage. The other little boy who was taller than him is in Kindergarten.  Then today at BSF the older classes gave a little singing performance.  He was at least two heads taller than EVERYONE on stage.   What will this look like next year?  It will look like someone forced there seven year old to join the kindergarten class.  The Hubs keeps reminding me that one day it will all even out.  I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much since The Little Man is completely oblivious to the fact that all his friends come up to his shoulders.

My sweet giant boy.

1 comment:

Laura said...

"But mama, but mama what if I were a big giant kid, would you still love me then?"

(can you tell what book I've been reading?)