Sunday, July 25, 2010

And It Was Right in My Own Backyard {Project Two Times Twelve}

I promised this time that I would avoid trying to master back lighting, sun flare, and sun haze the next time I went out for Project Two Times Twelve pics.  I can't say that I kept that promise, but I can say that I did try something new and out of my comfort zone.

(First, can I say, that we are only half way through this project and the kids already HATE it!  There was so much bribery going on to get this session that I still am not sure how exactly I am going to get them out next month.  So!  I will say that I probably won't get them out next month.  That doesn't mean I won't photograph them next month, it just means that I will have to be so creative that they don't even know that they are out for a session.)

To get out of my comfort zone, I decided I needed to first, go to a new location, and then second go out at a different time of day/different lighting conditions.  Initially, I went out during the earlier hours of the day because it was overcast, however, once I got to where I was going, the sun was out in all it's glory.  Still out of my comfort zone, though since I don't usually ever shoot in full sun.

First, location.  I see this place ALL THE TIME.  It wasn't until recently, though, that I thought about using it for a place to take pictures.   First, it's not very big.  Second, it's surrounded by homes. Third, it could have some questionable wildlife around it.  Namely that which have rattles on their tales and could bite if feeling they need to protect themselves. 

So, I brought The Hubs just in case.

He was thrilled.

So here we are at THE DRAINAGE DITCH behind my house.

Just goes to show, with a little effort, and creative angles, you can make almost anywhere look good.

First up, The Girl:






















Still working the angles thing here as well as trying to figure out the full sun thing we have going on.  I didn't want the back lighting effect, but if I turned her facing the sun she couldn't open her eyes.  This picture is the result of figuring out what I should do.  You can still see some harsh lighting on the back of her arm there.  Shucks.  I still like her little look, and also the arm thing.  I know it will look weird to most everyone else looking at it, but it's so her.  She always puts up her shoulder in pics.























She's starting to grow out of it, though, so I am glad I still see a hint of it in that picture.

I am so happy with the pics of The Little Man, I can barely stand it.  I know I posted pictures that were supposed to be his Five Year Old photos, but I changed my mind shortly after taking them.  I decided I really didn't like the way his outfit looked in those pics, and since then, I have been trying hard to get something different.  I am happy to say, it didn't take until he was six to get some pictures I think are keepers. 

Here they are:












































(I love the freckles so much in the picture above, I can barely stand it)






















I know they are the most "smiley" pictures, but I have decided that that is precisely why I love them  I get to see "him".  Not him trying to work the camera.  I think sometimes I forget that not all good pictures are pictures that have huge cheesy grins in them.  Good pictures are pictures that show off the person that is in them.  I feel like these pictures give me a good representation of The Little Man.  When all three go up on my wall,  I'll see "All of him" if that makes sense?

Here's another of The Girl that I really like:




She looks like a Desert Cowgirl or something.  I can't decide which I like more, the color or B&W version.  There may be more work to be done with this one.

And, yes, it's back lit (they all are).  You know what though?  I learned that when you are in full sun, you HAVE to back light.  It's the only way to make the subject look right with shadows and what not.  So, there, I learned something despite doing something I said I wasn't going to do again.

And since this is Project TWO times twelve, here are the two of them together:















I love that picture so much, I can barely stand it.  It made dragging The Hubs (as grumpy as he was about it) along all worth it.  He's the reason they are looking at me AND smiling with normal natural smiles.

I'm bringing him along from now on.

He's thrilled.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the new pics of the little man! Good call - I like the other ones - but these are great!