Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Boy

Here it is! My Little Man's fifth birthday! He's been looking forward to this day since, oh, his fourth birthday! For some reason he has really looked forward to turning five. I thought it was just his thing, you know, to be excited for a birthday even though the day was his birthday. Today, however, he hasn't said anything about being six. He seems really happy with being five.

All who know me know that it's a bittersweet day. It's hard for moms to watch their babies grow, but so happy too. I'm sure going to miss four. It's been my most favorite age with both kids, and now there will be no more four year olds in our small family. Hubs told The Little Man last night he wanted his last four year old hug. He said, "You know, this is probably the last time I will really get to snuggle with a four year old until I have grand kids."

I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me.

Why four? It's perfect. They are potty trained, talk really well, can reason (somewhat), are learning like crazy, have specific interests, their personalities really shine through, they love their family like crazy, they haven't been ruined by the other kids at school yet, and I don't feel like they really try to push their boundaries at this age. Four seems to be a "catch your breath" type of year in the parenting world (at least it was for me with both kids). I just love four, and four will be greatly missed. I know I will have other favorite ages (I've heard eight is pretty great), and I am excited for The Little Man to be five too.

Sweetest Little Boy,

You are amazing to me. I can barely contain myself when I think of this past year with you. With sister going to school full time, you and I, we really got to hang out with one another. You are sweet, kind, and love to snuggle. You freely share your love with many, and you are down right funny. You have promised me you'll still snuggle me and stay sweet even though you are five and big now, and I will make sure you keep that promise. You are a cautious kid, who is careful to follow rules and directions, but even still, you sure know how to have fun. One of my most favorite things about you is that your sister is your best friend. You love to play any kind of sport and always put your full heart into it. I can hardly wait to see what this next year has in store for you. I pray your heart will continue to grow in your desire to seek out God, and to know His mighty love for you, and for you to fall more in love with Him each day as well. You have been waiting for "five" all year long, and now it's here. Have fun!

Love,
Mom

Here's your video montage of your fifth year:

No comments: